• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    A buddy of mine bought a 9mm skyy 2-tone compact (no idea what type) and it jams left and right.He swars it just needs to be "broken in." :dunno: I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with skyy pistols?

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    I don't own one, but know of one person who does. He says his is
    good only as a door stop. That is only ones persons evaluation of
    course.

Thor20003

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    I had a CPX-1 and really had nothing but problems. I really wanted it to work but no matter what I did I could not get it to be reliable. A lot was related to the design of the safety lever which sccy removed on the newer model. Try the Sccy forum, but I don't know if you will find much positive information on these guns.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    This is all good to know......I have had no experience with their guns but saw one locally and at its price considered picking one up to try out.....glad I didn't wast the money now

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    If I had to pick between the paperweights.. I would take a Hi-Point. At least they have a unconditional lifetime warranty, vs. the sccy limited lifetime. Just my opinions.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have one that I bought new awhile back. It is one of the first 700 ever made. I got it for a great price at a gun show and decided to take a gamble on it since I already had plenty of other reliable pistols. Mine had a few failure to feed issues out of the box. I took it to my gunsmith and got it back a couple days later. Mine has been 100% flawless ever since. For a first handgunn for someone I would not recommend them, but I do know a few other people that own them and they have no problems with theirs.
    I like the look and feel of the gun itself and like I said mine has been 100% with 700-800 rounds through it since I got it back from my gunsmith. Very hard DAO trigger pull, the safety is not located in a good spot (very easy to accidentally put safety on while firing), and easy to takedown and maintain.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    MUCH better served to buy a KelTec P11 over ANY SCCI / SKYY (SKYY is the old name...they were sued by the vodka folks).

-J-

jimmyG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2014
    south Bend
    I owned one great gun actually for the price and great customer service anyway to get to your question take magazines apart take spring out and turn it they for some reason almost always come backwards from the factory mine did and caused jamming and fail to feed. The other thing is would I trust it edc yes but I did sell it but to a friend that she stays home alone husband travels a lot for work and she loves it and hasn't had ny issues since I reversed springs nor did I. Just food for thought to try before getting to discusted

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    359582.jpg

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Have a friend that has two SCCY CPX-2 CB's, has had zero problems with them. I should note, however, that he does his own minor gunsmithing, and 'went over them' before he put them into use, as I do. Clean thoroughly; check the feed ramp, polishing if not already done; ejector port; springs; proper lubrication; run about 500 - 1000 rounds through it to insure functionality and reliability, and so forth.

Same with any new firearm, regardless of manufacturer or price.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Just a note that the CPX1 and 2 pistols currently being made by SCCY are a very different beast from the guns made under the "SKYY" name back in 2011 when the OP was new. I am told the company itself underwent some major changes (other than the spelling of the name) as well. Earlier this year, one of my distributors convinced me to give them another look, and we have sold a few dozen pistols since then with no complaints from buyers.

My :twocents:

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I have a Keltec P11 and had an issue with the sights being way off... Keltec sent me a label, I sent it back. They replaced the barrel and slide and gave me a new set of taller and shorter rear sights. Its good for what it is. Ive put over 800 rounds through it and never had it choke on me. Its been awhile since I shot it, but I dont remember it even malfunctioning once. From all the bad things I hear about them, I think I got a good one, I also fine ground and polished everything until it was glass smooth, and that probably helped. I make alittle more money now, and my standards have changed, so I wouldnt personally buy one these days. But back then, it served its purpose well. From 3-10 yards, I would fire 20 rounds and keep it within a 8" circle. No thats not good, but its good enough to defend yourself with.

All these cheaper guns get the same level of response from INGO. But there is a reason why lower cost guns exist, and a large percentage of people who make enough money to spend 500 or 2000 bucks on a gun have forgotten those reasons.

Im sure, as usual, alot of people will disagree with me, but I think guns are like anything else. If you buy a cheap gun, you may have to work around certain flaws in its design. For instance, the moving surfaces of a hi point are still painted, so if you want to get reliability out of it, you need to do some work. Thats one of the reasons they're so cheap... My personal opinion is spend 50 bucks more and get a smith and wesson sigma/SD. Its the best cheap carry gun available.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom