Anyone have experience with Remington's new 700 VTR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Had one, nothing special. Probably better off getting an SPS tactical if you like it for the shorter barrel

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I've never shot one, but that stock has a lot of flex. To me the crappy original stock and the triangular barrel make this a gun to steer clear of, or at least for now. Maybe later someone will start making a good aftermarket stock with a triangular barrel channel.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I shot one in .223. It was very accurate. There wasn't anything that I could really complain about.
    What are you wanting it for? Range toy, competitions, hunting, or a build rifle?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    My friend had one in 308 and never could get a decent group out of it. Sold it and bought a SPS and has been pretty happy with it.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    I've never been all that interested in black guns. I like blue steel and walnut stocks. But I hate to scratch a nice gun in the act of shooting. This weapon could give me long range varmit shooting and even deer in Tennessee with my son. I can buy an unfired, NIB specimen for $200 less than it originally sold for. Maybe I need to update my inventory to the 21st century.....Idunno

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Got one in 223 that shoots real well now that I've found a load for it, You have to be careful with the remington line right now they are making several rifles that look alike but have wildly different stocks even if they look the same.

I would pick it over any equal price of any other brand.

I have to say I think the mark x trigger is better than other factory triggers but still doesn't come any where close to a good custom.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Apart from the Ti and the Mountain Rifle, I have never thought any of the 700 variants were worth the premium over a bottom end one. I haven't owned them all but have most.

The stock on the VTR is a milk jug and the triangle barrel is a gimmick. It has a built in brake, which is worth nothing more than laughs for both the chamberings it is sold in. Maybe it would be worth a look if they twisted it right, but again they declined to do even that.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Apart from the Ti and the Mountain Rifle, I have never thought any of the 700 variants were worth the premium over a bottom end one. I haven't owned them all but have most.

The stock on the VTR is a milk jug and the triangle barrel is a gimmick. It has a built in brake, which is worth nothing more than laughs for both the chamberings it is sold in. Maybe it would be worth a look if they twisted it right, but again they declined to do even that.

Everyone is got opinions and your entitled

My experience with the VTR has been positive and I too have owned every brand of rifle out there and end up back with the Rem 700, I don't have an interest in building a gun off a panda action or things like that. No matter what getting a 700 if you don't have any centerfire rifles is a good idea and 223 is a good choice here's my reasons

if this is your first rifle

the 700 is a good action and about any of the models are reasonable shooting guns.

once you put 3k rounds down range you will have a different opinion than when you started.

You can change stock and barrel and build what you really want and you already have an action

223 because its probably the most economical and a beginner can get more rounds down range for less money.

I really think shooter development causes more misses than "bad" rifles and once you can outshoot the gun you have then step up a notch.

:twocents:

BTW Don't buy bottom of the line optics, and just because a scope costs more doesn't mean your getting more. Burris, Leupold are always safe bets, Nikon is trying but is not there yet. you can buy nightforce but while you get a great scope the 1k could be used for rifle and ammo

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    This won't be my 1st centerfire, my safe has mostly classics like Savage 99's, Remington 788 and a real nice 700BDL. I am kicking around the idea of a tactical/deer rifle that I won't cry if I drop it. I have a nice Bushmaster varmiter in 223 so another one would just take up space. I'm looking for input before I spend $600

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    The bottom line is for me, I have several full blown custom guns that the only thing left Remington on them is the engraving and s/N
    No the VTR won't outshoot them.
    I've messed with one other VTR in 308

The stock has a nice feel to it has a flat bottem for bags, has an alum. bedding system.

If I needed to buy one for my Son to shoot in matches or hunting I would do so without hesitation

I would expect MOA perfomance from them with good factory ammo

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Everyone is got opinions and your entitled

Thanks for clearing that up.

You might also want to note down that I'm not prone to pretending everything on offer from any given manufacturer is of equal merit, or that every product differentiation effort dreamt up by marketing departments is an improvement over the last.

But the VTR stock does have molded grip panels, can't argue that.

BigJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Broadripple
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/145165-remington_vtr_308_mini_review.html

I urge you to read that link. There has been a lot of people one this thread saying things about a gun they have never shot!

If anyone knows anything about physics, the triangular barrel makes perfect sense, and the triggers can be tuned to amazing performance. Yes I agree the stock is not perfect...but it is a $700 gun! It is light and accurate, what more can you ask for?!?!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I like the concept, and have look a couple over with serious consideration. From the reviews I've read, the SPS Tactical is a better overall rifle. Still, one in 223 would be a blast. I've even considered selling my heavy barrel AR, and going this route.

Top Bottom