• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    My son needs a bunch of stickers for work. Paying a buck or more for them won't fly. He will end up paying for them out of his pocket.

So I am thinking what does it take to print them yourself. I know investment is a good cost, but what does it take to print good quality stickers? Anyone here do that? And willing to share the secrets? What is the best/normal? Laser or ink? Has to be printed on vinyl and outdoor quality. What kind of entry level printer takes roll vinyl? What kind of cost is roll vinyl and where do you buy it? Cutter?? Sorry for all the questions, just an inquiring mind.

(Just a guy with a 3D printer and thinks he can print the world)

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I have been out of the printing and graphic arts industry for well over two decades, and I'm sure the industry has change dramatically, but your question piqued my interest. Found this YouTube video that might give you a place to start.

A couple of questions came to mind.
    What size do the finished stickers need to be?
    What colors are involved?

Reactions: Leo

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I have been out of the printing and graphic arts industry for well over two decades, and I'm sure the industry has change dramatically, but your question piqued my interest. Found this YouTube video that might give you a place to start.
    A couple of questions came to mind.
    What size do the finished stickers need to be?
    What colors are involved?
    For what he wants... I think it is about 4" by 6", maybe black background with white lettering. (Or visa versa?) It will be out in weather so it needs to hold up. Numbers and letters. A tag, I don't recall exactly 20 or so letters on 2 lines. I know they are kind of cheap to make, but if you need 100 or more, at a buck a piece it adds up.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Weatherproof labels all have a clear coat protective coating on them. No kind of printing will withstand the elements without it. That's one reason they cost so much. There's a hundred online label printers that can do weatherproof, so I'd start there for pricing. I imagine if you could figure out how to print and cut to the size you need, you could figure out how to spray them with a clear coating, but there might be a less expensive online outfit that could fix you up.

The vinyl label material is also very expensive.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Unless you are going to get into the business of selling them, you are going to spend FAR more for equipment and supplies to get the type you want over just buying them outright from a supplier.

A dollar each would be incredibly cheap for what you are talking about, I would jump on it if you can get them for that price for a low quantity.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    My son needs a bunch of stickers for work. Paying a buck or more for them won't fly. He will end up paying for them out of his pocket.

So I am thinking what does it take to print them yourself. I know investment is a good cost, but what does it take to print good quality stickers? Anyone here do that? And willing to share the secrets? What is the best/normal? Laser or ink? Has to be printed on vinyl and outdoor quality. What kind of entry level printer takes roll vinyl? What kind of cost is roll vinyl and where do you buy it? Cutter?? Sorry for all the questions, just an inquiring mind.

(Just a guy with a 3D printer and thinks he can print the world)
    I just happen to be in this business of digital printing and do field service on Roland printers. As said if you want professional grade stickers that will withstand the elements you will spend 7k plus. You will also need a lamanator.
    If your interested check out www.rolanddga.com
    A Roland BN 20 printer will print your stickers (slowly) and then cut them out after you lamanate them. Go to Roland printer website and if you are still interested I can put you in contact with a great sales rep who will be more than helpful making you understand the process. Keep in mind its a business grade Equipment and you can make and sell stickers to others for profit.

Top Bottom