Anyone Have Problems With Early Gen 4's?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    So I'm about to pick up my first Glock (I have a thread on why I'm actually picking one up after so long), and it's a very early model G17 Gen 4. I've read so much about these having odd quirks. I know about the recoil spring, and I'll be calling Glock for a replacement as soon as I get it.

Now, I've been seeing issues with extractors on early production models. I'm trying to determine whether or not I'm worrying about nothing, or if I can get some first hand stories and be prepared ahead of time.

Why should I be buying this firearm if I'm worried about it's functioning capabilities you ask? Well, for one, it's a hell of a deal, and two, I don't much care for how Gen 3's fit in my hand. Also, I want a 9 so a .40 etc isn't what I'm going for.

Help a Glock newb out?

***UPDATE***

Zero problems out of my early model Gen 4 G17. Ran flawlessly with 115gr Federal FMJ's AND 124gr Hornaday XTP's. Not a hiccup. I think I'll still call Glock and have them send me the updated recoil spring. Might as well, it's free. Thanks to all who posted. Think I'll keep 'er :D

Last edited:

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Any mechanical device--such as a firearm--with moving parts and springs can fail, but some are more prone to failure than others.

Glocks are no exception and can fail. Overall, however, there isn't a more reliable handgun than a Glock, which is the main reason about two-thirds of law enforcement agencies issue Glocks.

Give Glock a call (770-432-1202) and talk with a technician about any concerns you may have. If there are any upgrades applicable to your gun, Glock (in my experience) will send parts to you at no charge or do the work at no charge.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Go for it, if u r not happy with it I will take it off your hands. I don't have much experience with the gen 4s, but didn't have any probe once the recoil spring was replaced. Never even heard about extractor issues.

bamthetrashman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I have a G19 Gen 4 that I think is an early model. The reason I think it is an early model because the spring says 03 on it, not 04. When doing research about the gun, I read that the 03 spring is the one that causes the problems, so I called up Glock and tried to order an 04 spring. There was a long wait (approx and hour) at the time, so I decided to just shoot the gun first and if I had problems, then I would call Glock and order the 04 spring.

I went to the range and didn't have a single issue. I shot WWB, Cheap Wal-Mart Federal, and my reloads. Everything shot great. The Federal were by far the worst, I couldn't hit anything. The WWB was much better, and then my reloads where the best (I love it when my reloads out shoot factory :-)

Obviously, I have no idea how your particular pistol will work out, but mine has been a great and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase an early model Gen 4. Even if there are problems, I would think that GLock would fix them for you. I say go for it!

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I have a G19 Gen 4 that I think is an early model. The reason I think it is an early model because the spring says 03 on it, not 04. When doing research about the gun, I read that the 03 spring is the one that causes the problems, so I called up Glock and tried to order an 04 spring. There was a long wait (approx and hour) at the time, so I decided to just shoot the gun first and if I had problems, then I would call Glock and order the 04 spring.

I went to the range and didn't have a single issue. I shot WWB, Cheap Wal-Mart Federal, and my reloads. Everything shot great. The Federal were by far the worst, I couldn't hit anything. The WWB was much better, and then my reloads where the best (I love it when my reloads out shoot factory :-)

Obviously, I have no idea how your particular pistol will work out, but mine has been a great and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase an early model Gen 4. Even if there are problems, I would think that GLock would fix them for you. I say go for it!

That's weird because Glock has been issuing "02" springs in lieu of the .40 springs they placed in them.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I have one of the first Gen4's with the original spring that was supposed to be trouble but it has been perfect for me.
    I even shoot light charged 124 gr. reloads all the time.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    Overall, however, there isn't a more reliable handgun than a Glock, which is the main reason about two-thirds of law enforcement agencies issue Glocks.

Glock handguns are carried by a large number of LE agencies due to them being low cost and that they have an easy manual of arms to learn, it has nothing to due with reliability ashamedly.

If they, agencies and Glock, were worried with reliability they would have pulled all the late gen III 40's and new gen IV 9's and 40's off the street and issued a new brand of firearms. Several large agencies, including Indiana State Police have had major reliability issues with the late Gen 3 40's and more large agencies are having issues with Gen 4's 9mm. If Glock was concerned with anyone's safety they would leave the guns alone when they work and stop making changes and band-aid excuses on how to fix them. A reliable firearm is not one that has to have one edition mag follower, another edition recoil spring, another edition what ever part they choose this week just to run.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Glock handguns are carried by a large number of LE agencies due to them being low cost and that they have an easy manual of arms to learn, it has nothing to due with reliability ashamedly.

If they, agencies and Glock, were worried with reliability they would have pulled all the late gen III 40's and new gen IV 9's and 40's off the street and issued a new brand of firearms. Several large agencies, including Indiana State Police have had major reliability issues with the late Gen 3 40's and more large agencies are having issues with Gen 4's 9mm. If Glock was concerned with anyone's safety they would leave the guns alone when they work and stop making changes and band-aid excuses on how to fix them. A reliable firearm is not one that has to have one edition mag follower, another edition recoil spring, another edition what ever part they choose this week just to run.

Wow! I didn't realize Glocks were so unreliable and law enforcement agencies only use them because they are cheap and have "an easy manual of arms to learn."

News to me, but thanks for sharing!

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Ya know, last night I registered with GlockTalk forums to get some advice/suggestions. I'm sill under "review", so I can't post a thread on their forums. How shady is that. On INGO, you register and ready to rock.

Guess they don't like new members..../rant

SixSigmaLarry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   1
    Jan 3, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Plinkuh,
    Last year I bought two Gen 4 Glocks, a G17 and a G22. They were one of the first ones to hit the streets in NE IN. My G22 usually had an issue with the recoil spring. The G17 worked perfect. I seem to recall someone saying that the 40's were prone to having issues than the 9's (don't hold me to that, I just seem to recall reading that or hearing someone say that).

I am pretty sure you will be fine with your 17. If not,, Glock should take care of you. They are a solid company and their customer service is good.

Take care and good luck!

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Plinkuh,
    Last year I bought two Gen 4 Glocks, a G17 and a G22. They were one of the first ones to hit the streets in NE IN. My G22 usually had an issue with the recoil spring. The G17 worked perfect. I seem to recall someone saying that the 40's were prone to having issues than the 9's (don't hold me to that, I just seem to recall reading that or hearing someone say that).

I am pretty sure you will be fine with your 17. If not,, Glock should take care of you. They are a solid company and their customer service is good.

Take care and good luck!

Thank you sir, I'm picking it up tomorrow. Hope it's good to go!

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Administrator sick.

Ya know, last night I registered with GlockTalk forums to get some advice/suggestions. I'm sill under "review", so I can't post a thread on their forums. How shady is that. On INGO, you register and ready to rock.

Guess they don't like new members..../rant

I guess you don't know that the site owner on Glock Talk (their Fenway)a gentleman named Eric has been quite ill. I believe he is recovering from surgery as we speak. His wife has been trying to keep things going but acknowledgements might be running a little slow. Patience is a virtue? ;)

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I guess you don't know that the site owner on Glock Talk (their Fenway)a gentleman named Eric has been quite ill. I believe he is recovering from surgery as we speak. His wife has been trying to keep things going but acknowledgements might be running a little slow. Patience is a virtue? ;)

No, I had no knowledge of that. Now I feel bad! Thanks Vince!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The only Gen4s I've heard of having trouble are 9mm. Supposedly, there is a conflict with that caliber (specifically) and the double spring. Almost as if it's too much for the 9mm or it doesn't need more than the original. YMMV.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    The only Gen4s I've heard of having trouble are 9mm. Supposedly, there is a conflict with that caliber (specifically) and the double spring. Almost as if it's too much for the 9mm or it doesn't need more than the original. YMMV.

Yeah, please read my first post, as I stated I knew about the recoil spring.

Top Bottom