Anyone have the Leaf Filter system installed on their gutters?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    If you don't get the angle just right on the systems that basically cover the top of the gutter and rely on surface tension to pull the water back into the gutter, you will have water shooting off the roof at the times you most want the gutter to catch it.

I have had three different roofers tell me that the best thing is to leave it open and clean them out once in awhile. But that is not always practical so I can see putting something up. I had two of them tell me about a screen that works. It is a certain brand. They claimed that the other's don't work as well as these do and only one of the two sold them.

I'll try to find it when I have a little time and post a link.

I have a ranch with a 4/12 pitch so I can easily walk it and blow them out with my leaf blower. But last year before I had two ginormous maple trees taken out, it would clog the gutters during a rainstorm! I could not keep my gutters from clogging and overflowing. Thankfully, they are gone and now I think I can get away with 3-4 times per year blowing them out.

My house has a gambrel roof so it is pretty steep pitch and I was told the solid cover won't work and will cause a waterfall effect. The front and back enclosed porches have roofs pitched like yours so it would work on those. I just need to be more vigilant about cleaning the gutters in spring and fall.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have the fine mesh stainless steel gutter screens and they work great.
    Have never had to clean the gutters, and I do have trees.

Don't know how long they've been installed, as they were on the house when I bought the place over a year ago.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    [h=1]FlexxPoint 30 Year Gutter Cover System[/h]
    This is the one I have heard a lot about as far as being effective. I may try it on one of my gutters to see how it works. What I don't like is that if/when it gets some debris in the gutters, it will be a pain to take off and clean.

I'm really going to have to think about this one. Getting on the roof is easy, but I wonder about the wear and tear walking on the shingles.

Not to mention, one misstep and a trip to the ground without the ladder could leave a mark.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    When I built my new retirement home 4 years ago I had 3-4 companies come out and give me quotes on gutter protection systems. Gutter Helmet (solid type) was the most expensive but I went with them because of their warranty and service inspections. The system has a lifetime warranty and I can call them out whenever I want to have them inspect the gutters. They use a fiber optic scope and record the gutter inspection for your review. If any material has accumulated they will pull the helmets and clean the gutters. I have a 4/12 roof pitch and one of the windows in my office gives me an excellent view of two sections of gutters and one downspout. Even in the heaviest rain I have never seen the water gushing over the curved edge and bypassing the gutters.

I have diabetes and poor circulation in both feet making it impossible for me to climb ladders. The bones are so brittle they would fracture just standing on a ladder rung. I lifted my neighbor up with my tractor and front end loader bucket and we inspected most of the system last year. He said the gutters were perfectly clean. I have pin oak, red oak. maple, sycamore and black walnut all around the house, but no leaves or maple seeds in the gutters.

To be fair, I have heard that pine needles will accumulate in the Gutter Helmet system. I haven't seen that but read that in some online reviews.

My home is a 2,500 sq ft ranch with a walk out basement. I also had the helmets installed on my new workshop (80' front and back). The total package was right at $4,000 or about $16.67 per foot.

This works for me and I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. There may be cheaper initial options, but look at the whole package including warranty and inspections.

Top Bottom