Anyone have tips on how to survive SHTF with children?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • H3LLFIRE2607

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    Hi. I'm 25 years old. My girlfriend is 21, pregnant, and in a wheel chair. She also has a 1 year old who I am rasing as my own. My question is, does anybody have tips on surviving a situation where SHTF? Ive grown up around weapons and know quite a bit about survival on my own, but throwing in the other factors I am at a loss.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Plan A.Kill the children and the wife, use their corpses as bait for wild animals for hunting purposes. I don't see anyway out of it.. Your screwed Buddy!!! always resort to plan A. when in doubt.

Honestly though, depends on what type of SHTF your worried about...

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Plan A.Kill the children and the wife, use their corpses as bait for wild animals for hunting purposes. I don't see anyway out of it.. Your screwed Buddy!!! always resort to plan A. when in doubt.

[Not purple... Not sure if serious..

Just kidding!

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    [Not purple... Not sure if serious..

Just kidding!

I am somewhat color blind so it might not be purple anyshade close is purple in my eyes.. serious note..

He he sorry for any confusion. I now feel bad because this person has only two posts but they look like they have been here since 11 so i am sure they understand the purple.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    See ... that's the whole thing about wives and kids. They tie you down and leave you vulnerable. I know, I know, there's lots of good about them (got a few myself), but there's no denying it, you, sir, are handicapped! Truly handicapped in every way. You're going to either leave them or you're going to be a slow moving, highly visible (and loud) target.
    Good luck.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I don't think you are actually asking about SHTF, but rather TEOTWAWKI. SHTF can be anything, things as simple as the transmission going out in the car, flooding/ice storm/fire, losing a job for an extended period, etc...In those situations, you'll be fine and the handicaps shouldn't effect you too much. On the other hand TEOTWAWKI is another thing all together. I have small children and know they will slow me down a LOT however they are also a tremendous motivating factor and duties for them will sort themselves out when the need arises. From my personal vantage point, you are screwed, but that's no way to look at things. Where you live can play a role in your survival for example if you are in the country perhaps a horse would be helpful for the GF and her mobility if a bug out is in order? Can she shoulder a rifle? If so then she will be useful in that role. You've got to find a specific niche for each according to what they can handle and practice filling it. Good luck and I hope my lack of sarcasm is helpful.

fatduk1963

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Warren IN
    do not think of what someone can not do but look outside the box and figure out what they can do . I spent 5yrs in a wheelchair and can tell you that its a hell of a pistol shooting platform . get her a large hi-cap 9mm like a Smith & wesson 5906 a CCW put a fanny pack or bag and put it on the inside of the arm rest NO one thinks a person in a chair is armed but think of them as pray. take her shooting and get her comfortable to be armed , she just may be the one who stops a whacko who is hell bent on his 5 min. of glory. and whe in doubt read Gods instruction manual .

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Having read all the thread you will get the general view that mobility will not be a first line plan. Very small (young-newborn) will hinder any progress and rule out the grey man tactic which I have come to understand will be vital. Can you bug in. Are you in a home or an apartment. Do you have transportation (reliable) Fuel and food reserves. There are a lot of details you have not shared. More please.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Thinking outside the box will be vital in those situations. Though shooting, BG vs GG isnt likely to be the biggest issue in most SHTF scenarios, it isnt a bad idea to encourage anyone in the household that are physically and mentally capable to be familiar with weapons and their deployment. Travel would best be left as a last resort, bugging in would free a good bit more of your resources and energy. Emergency situations are very dynamic, and as such a solid plan is only a start, the ability to remain flexible will likely be the most vital part of surviving a SHTF situation.

H3LLFIRE2607

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    I have done some thinking and really my only choice is that I am going to have to kill the GF and kids and eat them.... jk

Honestly though, I realize I am screwed. Our only real option is to bug in. We are renting a home, but do to the twins coming we are moving into an apartment within the year. We know a few people out there and I thought about asking them if they would be willing to join together and attempt to bug in as a group. Said people have things stocked up as well, but I don't know for sure if they believe how close we are to things falling apart.

My truck broke down last winter, so I do not have transportation. I have stored up some canned goods and some oats.

Also, what is grey man tactic?

@fatduk1963, thanks for the idea. she flinches a lot, but i think with a 9mm and some good range time she would do just fine holding her own in that regard.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Children will be the utmost importance as they will be the future society in the rebuilding process. They are to be protected and care for at all costs!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Children will be the utmost importance as they will be the future society in the rebuilding process. They are to be protected and care for at all costs!

Kids would be my un-doing. It would be near impossible to pass on an abandoned child even if sick or injured. Adults, well that is another story. Kids, tough to say and hard on the heart. Could you save them all.................:dunno:

Top Bottom