• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Adak Alaska - Birthplace of the winds and home of the worlds biggest caribou.

And that's where I'd love to hunt and fish. :D

Screw sleeping in a tent. Put me in the duplex I lived in when I was a kid, or one of the quonset huts that my parents partied in. That's how I want to spend the week.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Have hiked lots of trails on the Kenai Peninsula around Cooper Landing and down around Seward. Have a cabin on an island near there.

You will definitely want a tent. The weather can change in a matter of minutes. Do not be surprised if you get two or three days of blowing rain in a row. When the sun shines, it is beautiful beyond description. The mountain peaks will be covered in snow up until 4th of July. When you arrive, purchase bug dope and bear spray at a Fred Mejer or hardware store.

The North Beach campsites near Seward are beautiful. The trail is fairly easy and level, but has to be timed right to avoid high tide. Part of the trail goes through the "Dr Seuss Forest" and feels like something out of a movie. There are cabins and shelters that you can reserve at the destination campsite.

The hiking trails near Cooper Landing are far more vertical with lots of switch-backs, but will take you above tree line. The views are spectacular and the fishing along the Kenai and Russian rivers is superb.

If you really want to get remote, book a stay at Silver Salmon Creek Lodge, across the Cook Inlet from Ninilchik. The lodge there is rustic but well stocked, and the bear watching is excellent. (Worked there one summer)

You can take a train from Anchorage to Seward. There is also a train that runs from Anchorage to Denali.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It's looking like Sept is going to be the timeframe between flights and weather.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    And that's where I'd love to hunt and fish. :D

Screw sleeping in a tent. Put me in the duplex I lived in when I was a kid, or one of the quonset huts that my parents partied in. That's how I want to spend the week.

Well well, another Adakian. We were there 85-89 and lived in duplex in New Roberts housi ng. Salmon and halibut fishing just about ruined me for all other fishing. It sure was nice. Hunted south end of island via a boat trip and spent 3 weeks in DNR cabin at three arm bay. What a time. And to think I was being paid to be there!!!

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well well, another Adakian. We were there 85-89 and lived in duplex in New Roberts housi ng. Salmon and halibut fishing just about ruined me for all other fishing. It sure was nice. Hunted south end of island via a boat trip and spent 3 weeks in DNR cabin at three arm bay. What a time. And to think I was being paid to be there!!!

I was only there as a kid, 74-76. As a kid, I didn't realize how different it was. Just another Navy base.

As an adult, I want to go back. :)

Unfortunately - well, actually, "fortunately" - I'll have to pay to go back. That's alright though. The contract is ALOT shorter. ;)

Top Bottom