• rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    rhino knows Bucks ! :rockwoot:

I try!

The 110 is an icon. It may not have been the first locking folder, but it is the quintessential American locking folder and always will be.

And for slicing stuff, there is no better!

I have and still use a 110 during hunting season, sharpest,best edge holding knife I have ever owned. It is about 25 years old. I bought it new from WalMart when they used to make an effort to sell American made goods.

i just got a 112 in July. New old stock from 1978. No little groove to open the blade. Sharp when I got it. Very sharp now. I tend to carry it more as it is a little smaller ( when not carrying the Wave).

the custom shop has had my eye for about a year now. Maybe, if I can stop buying guns...

I have a few older 112s I got from eBay about 10 years ago. I bought them to recondition the best one and present to my brother who carried a Buck 112 for a long time, but no longer had it. No knife feels better in the hand than a Buck 112.

Its my other Buck folder that says 450 on it. Yeah, it was the 420HC I was thinking of earlier. Not exactly world class steel, but Paul Bos definitely knows how to get the most out of it. I'm thinking I might be sending them some 3V blades I have coming up.

Yep! And with the geometry and heat treat, you can get them super sharp. It may not hold that edge as long as some other knives, but I don't mind touch-ups.

Truth right there. I carry my Leatherman for the screwdriver and if I want to chop firewood I'll use an axe.

My EDC 110 has gutted every deer I've killed and is the primary knife I use while processing.

This month's Outdoor Life has a story by one of the editorial staff about her first deer hunt. After she got her buck, she realized she forgot to bring a knife. One of the others in the party had a Buck 110 as his backup and loaned it to her. There is a great photo of a hand holding the knife, both covered in deer blood.

I buy every made in the USA Buck 110 or 112 I can find at yard sales and the flea market for under $20...And then I stash them in various bags, vehicles, etc...

Good plan!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    So the 112 would make a better EDC?

I try!

The 110 is an icon. It may not have been the first locking folder, but it is the quintessential American locking folder and always will be.

And for slicing stuff, there is no better!

I have a few older 112s I got from eBay about 10 years ago. I bought them to recondition the best one and present to my brother who carried a Buck 112 for a long time, but no longer had it. No knife feels better in the hand than a Buck 112.

Yep! And with the geometry and heat treat, you can get them super sharp. It may not hold that edge as long as some other knives, but I don't mind touch-ups.

This month's Outdoor Life has a story by one of the editorial staff about her first deer hunt. After she got her buck, she realized she forgot to bring a knife. One of the others in the party had a Buck 110 as his backup and loaned it to her. There is a great photo of a hand holding the knife, both covered in deer blood.

Good plan!

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

As you know, a lot of outdoorsmen actually prefer the simpler steels for that reason. 1095 and to a lesser extent 440C won't hold an edge all that long without continuous stropping. But they also take a very good edge easily. The prospect of fighting niobium carbides with a pocket stone halfway up a mountain isn't very pleasant. But then again, you probably won't have to.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I do when I'm at home. Currently it's a Basspro Buck 110 with a CPM154 blade. Previously it was a standard 110 that had a BG-42 blade upgrade, but I retired that guy after a lot of use (the blade is noticeably smaller from sharpening). I also have a Cabela's Alaskan Guide Buck 110 with a CPM S30V blade.

I have an old standard 110 and the Cabela's Alaskan Guide version as well.
    I see no reason to change.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I have this sickness...well, several sicknesses actually...but ONE of them is a love of knives. I have way too many knives, but love each and every one of them, even if they never get used. One is a Buck 110 with the finger grooves in the handle. Wonderfully made, and beautiful little knife.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have this sickness...well, several sicknesses actually...but ONE of them is a love of knives. I have way too many knives, but love each and every one of them, even if they never get used. One is a Buck 110 with the finger grooves in the handle. Wonderfully made, and beautiful little knife.

Loving knives is a positive character attribute, not a sickness! You're welcome!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    BEHOLD! I present to you a functional work of freakin' art:

Buck-4419__28420.1499465213.1280.1280.jpg

[h=1]Buck 110 Ultimate Hunter S30V - Limited Edition - Rosewood[/h]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Holy crap.

That's the best $90 you'll every spend on a knife, sir. DO IT NOW. It's a limited edition and the walnut scale version is already sold out.

Notice the drop point (standard Buck 110 has a clip point) and that there is no nail nick. You can't open it easily with one hand, but as a cutting tool, you can't do much better, especially at that price point. And it's freakin' awesome to just look at it.

Rhino, can you buy 5 so I can get that $5 discount?

Hah! If I buy 5, I'm keepin' 5.

A group might work to save the $5 plus consolidate the shipping, but only if everyone involved is close enough so that shipping isn't necessary.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... You can't open it easily with one hand . . .

Not enough to grab onto for a New York open, or too stiff perhaps?

(Not that that's easy compared to a thumb stud/hole.)

I like the classics, but I find I've switched all my edc stuff over to things that are more easily opened with one hand.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    That's the best $90 you'll every spend on a knife, sir. DO IT NOW. It's a limited edition and the walnut scale version is already sold out.

Notice the drop point (standard Buck 110 has a clip point) and that there is no nail nick. You can't open it easily with one hand, but as a cutting tool, you can't do much better, especially at that price point. And it's freakin' awesome to just look at it.

Hah! If I buy 5, I'm keepin' 5.

A group might work to save the $5 plus consolidate the shipping, but only if everyone involved is close enough so that shipping isn't necessary.

Why a drop point over a clip point?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Not enough to grab onto for a New York open, or too stiff perhaps?

(Not that that's easy compared to a thumb stud/hole.)

I like the classics, but I find I've switched all my edc stuff over to things that are more easily opened with one hand.

All of my other 110s will do that easily, but this guy is currently too stiff for that. It will get better. I may also add a "one armed bandit" (one of the thumb studs that you can attach with an allen screw).

Why a drop point over a clip point?

I can't speak for the person who made the choices (you could contact the vendor), but in practical terms I find the drop point more practical. For one thing, when I'm trying to slice something open and I don't want to puncture what's underneath it, it's easier with a drop point. It also works better to use the point to start a hole. Other than that, it's a personal preference thing.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Dang it, rhino .... it's beautiful for sure. If I hadn't just purchased another one of those (Sig) .40 turd guns for a super-duper price, I'd buy that knife in a heartbeat !
    (the .40 cal cartridge is gonna make a comeback .... I'm sure of it !!!) :D

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I've had a Buck 110 for about 38 years. Carried it for about 18 years of a 21 year US Army career. It was my go-to when the Swiss Army Woodsman's 3" blade was either too small or not sturdy enough for the cutting task at hand. It was generally easier to use than my M7 bayonet, although I used that occasionally for certain tasks, other than as a bayonet, such as batoning field expedient stakes or something that would be hard on the Buck's locking mechanism, which wasn't very often at all. Always had its leather holster somewhere easily accessible on my ALICE battle rattle.

36339777544_1721215cb6_b.jpg

The clip point blade has a reputation for being easy to break the tip off. It's been my experience it is invariably because the user was either prying or twisting with it which should not be done with any knife. Screwdrivers are for twisting and crowbars are for prying. Nor should it be used for batoning, which is excessively hard on every locking knife mechanism. It will hold an excellent edge and it's not that difficult to sharpen to an extremely fine edge. If you take care of a 110 and don't abuse it, it will last a lifetime, and then some. I've never felt one-hand opening to be an essential. I've got some one-hand, and it can be convenient, but it's not essential. I've never seen a folding knife as a combat weapon. For edged weapons, I have several bayonets and a full-size light cavalry saber (it's not a ceremonial one).

Top Bottom