anyone here have Dish Network or DirecTV?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Just closed on my house and moved in. Had a falling out with ATT as they are all seemingly idiots. They claimed to have been at my house 4 times to install but yet were only there once, the day BEFORE we told them to close. We were at the house all day every day since we closed and they were never there. But when they came the wrong day they left a ticket, so they do have the right address. Long story short I told them to shove their service up their $$$.

I dont really care for comcast but it would do I suppose, I am just thinking of giving dish or direcTV a shot. From people I have talked to that have it they say the poor service when it rains issues are more or less a thing of the past. They seem to have the best prices.

Anyone have any experience with either one? Prefer one or the other? Run from both? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    I have Dish...had it for about 8 years now. The rain thing does still happen but only on the worst storm days and typically only till the dish gets wet then works fine. I think the longest it has gone out is maybe 5mins (and only a handful of times in 8 years).

Service is great (they have replaced my equipment 3 times (its 8 years old so its to be expected) I had new equipment the next day.

I have no complaints at all about the service, pricing or offering from a competitive perspective.

Hope this helps.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Thanks for the insight. Most people who have dish seem to like it pretty well. Seems like most people who knock it are ones who have never had it and just listen to the old horror stories of it going out all the time.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Dish Network's CS is top notch, not so much with Direct TV.

As LM posted, AMC has been dropped from their lineup, so I'm going to have to reconsider something before Mad Men starts season 6.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    I have had both and liked both but have DirecTv at the moment seems the rain problem is less with DirecTv then it was with Dish that was my experience.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Had dish for four years previousley and have now had directv for the last two. I love the directv.
    I'm sure the technology has changed, but when I had dish "watch one channel record another" only worked for one tv. a second tv had to watch one of the two channels.
    I prefer my directv.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    If you like sports - DirectTV

Never had any problems with their CS. They just got us a new receiver, lowered our pricing, and a free year of Sunay Ticket. I can now record 5 channels at once. Good stuff.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    I had DirectTV for a lot of years, until the apartment complex where I live decided that they were no longer going to allow satalite and I had to switch to Brighthouse. I liked Direct quite well and had the storm thing only in the worst weather. If you do get a dish I would recommend you get the service insurance if there is any chance of someone accidently knocking it out of alignment, it will save you a lot of money. They are also good for service calls and equipment replacement.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    As I have posted before, I feel Directv has the worst customer service and their policies are unethical. I would never do business with them again.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I have Dish...had it for about 8 years now. The rain thing does still happen but only on the worst storm days and typically only till the dish gets wet then works fine. I think the longest it has gone out is maybe 5mins (and only a handful of times in 8 years).

Service is great (they have replaced my equipment 3 times (its 8 years old so its to be expected) I had new equipment the next day.

I have no complaints at all about the service, pricing or offering from a competitive perspective.

Hope this helps.

:+1:

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I have DirecTV and I love it. The CS (rarely needed for me) has been fine. I dumped Comcast after repeated price increase coupled with removing channels. My research showed that DirecTV had better packages and more HD channels than Dish.

I've had it for about 7 years and I'm completely satisfied.

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    I have had both and between the two I would have to say I like DirecTv better. The storm issues still happen with both during the worst weather which is really when you need a signal the most. Interruptions in service are fewer now than when we had Dish Network. It has also been about 7-8 yrs since we used them so that may be better now. DirecTv customer service has been less than stellar for us IMO. I live too far out in the sticks to get cable but if I had the option I think I would choose to pay extra for it to keep service at all times. The same goes for internet service. My internet signal shuts down before the rain even begins most of the time.

I would also second Steves advice about getting service insurance. If your dish takes a hit from high winds and loses alignment you will have to pay for a service tech to come and reset it. That actually is my main problem with their customer service. As much as it costs to have service with them it should be reset for free or a lot cheaper than it costs now. Its not like they have to run an entire new installation.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I still like Dish a lot. But losing AMC makes me mad.

I'm still trying to decide if it would be worth switching to Directv just so I can have AMC again...

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I switched from Dish to DirectTV about 6 years ago and don't regret it at all. It only 'goes out' during the most severe storms(ironic?) and then only for a short time. I've never even had to call their customer service for a problem, other than order a movie (before I had a computer).

Top Bottom