• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I find it funny that some on this site will support the military but at the same time automatically ask about/lump in the Military member with some ideal the Military is just there to violate some right! especially when the member asks about a career in FED LE that other bad phrase to say here!

RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    The reason i ask is because when my contract is up id like to go federal. I have some questions regarding my eligibility to apply and what not also tattoo policy is a big one too. If you dont want your friends here to know PM ill keep your secret for you.

Why do you want to be in law enforcement? Why specifically federal law enforcement?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I like to serve and i want to go federal because my time in the Marine Corps counts toward my retirement . Also the job security of having a contract and the pay and medical taken care of.

Actually your military time you can buy back in the Fed's but you still have to do 20-25 years. How it works is you do 4 years military you join an agency. you send in your DD214 and they figure out what you owe for those 4 years. Then you buy/pay that you do your 20 years you would retire like you did 24 years.

you can retire at any age with 25 years in or at age 50 and over with 20 years in. So say you hire in at age 28 you have to do 22 years before your eligible. You hire in at age 32 you can retire at age 52 with 20 years in.

At age 57 you get mandatory retired period. There are a couple exceptions to that with the secret Service and others that will grant waivers to retired military but those are few and far between.

Mac-1917

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Find out who runs TAP for you and dig their brain. They can put you in touch with the recruiting staff for each agency and you can ask them via email.

Both TAP I attended we had DEA, SS, BATF, BLM, US Marshall Service, and dozens of county/state level recruiters show.

Just a reminder Marines did refuse to follow orders during Katrina. Which was to confiscate firearms from citizens.

FortWayneGunfighter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2012
    The desert...
    Why not just stay in and re-class to a MP then?
    Peacetime Corps sucks and I couldnt handle being a glorified ID checker at the gate.

Find out who runs TAP for you and dig their brain. They can put you in touch with the recruiting staff for each agency and you can ask them via email.

Both TAP I attended we had DEA, SS, BATF, BLM, US Marshall Service, and dozens of county/state level recruiters show.

Just a reminder Marines did refuse to follow orders during Katrina. Which was to confiscate firearms from citizens.
    TAP?

Mac-1917

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Transition Assistance Program

military -> civilian transition

Transition Assistance Program

It is online now. Use to be a class that you attended prior to separating and HR types discussing interview etique, recruiters for LEA/Oil Rigs/ETC, and also informed you of your insurance coverage and how to get on welfare... They might have it listed on the website now. Last time I took it was 05.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Be nice to this this kid INGO! We need oathkeepers in the with the feds to keep them honest. ITs people like him that might stop unlawful orders from being carried out.

Good luck OP. I hope there are a lot more feds just like you.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    So true ... here's a link to what Hotdoger stated ... Bonus Army.

So after reading the link I garned this: some veterans were on government property demanding new conditions on a contract they had already signed because the previous conditions were no longer suitable to them. After being ordered to leave, they refused. Some were killed when fighting broke out. Does anyone have information on who started the shooting or why the shooting occurred?

From this link it sounds like an unruly mob with no legal basis was trying to blackmail the government. (We are gonna sit on your yard until you change you mind and revise the contract in our favor).

Just a question: If occupy wallstreet hooligans had forcibly confronted troops and some had been killed would this be different?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I would look into the U.S. Marshal Service. They do a lot of federal court/ prisoner transfer, but their fugitive task force looks like interesting work if you want action. U.S. Marshals Service,* Investigations, Fugitive Task Forces

I use to work for the Marshals Service as a contract guard. The problem with the US Marshals Service they don't have a ton of people and there isn't much turnover. There are only approx 3,000 DUSM's nationwide and they have very sporatic hiring. As far as doing any kind of task force stuff you will have several years sitting in a courtroom before you get to move up to that level. One other option for someone wanting a foot in the door is there are several openings now and then in the uSMS for a Detention Enforcement Officer. basically DEO's run the Marshal service jails in major metro areas during court proceedings. You can get picked up as a DEO as a GL 5,6, or 7 do a couple/few years and that would help your chances getting picked up as a DEO (you already work for the USMS so do a good job an you will get your chance to promote from within).

The only bad thing about a DEO is you will have to move on your dime to a major metro area, Detroit, LA, WASH DC, NY, El Paso etc etc etc.

And even if you get a DUSM spot don't count on getting Indiana. In the Southern District of Indiana there are 13 DUSM's in Indy, 1 in Terre Haute, 2 in Evansville and 1 in Bloomington. Can't speak for the Northern District of Indiana. But most do go to major metro areas for at least their first 3 years.

Not to discourage anyone but thats what you will face when you apply. FWIW

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    What is it you want to do? Most federal agent jobs require at least an undergrad degree, some require graduate work, unless you're thinking TSA then you don't need to know how to read, write, or do laundry.

A lot of times the requirement for a degree can be substituted by experience. So if the OP is wanting to stay in the same career field then they can waive the degree requirement, but it sounds like he is on his way to getting one.

OP, not sure how long till you are getting out, or I missed it, but pretty much the entire Federal Gov is on lock down for new hires right now. No one is really sure how long it is supposed to last. Probably till they figure out some of this budget mess.

There is always the contractor route. In times when the federal departments are in a hiring freeze, a lot of the times they can still bring people in as contractors. Then later down the road you have a better foot in the door to get picked up on the Gov side. At least this is how it works when dealing with working for one of the branches of the military, not sure if it is the same when dealing with FBI, DHS, Ect.

If you are coming back to IN when you get out there are a lot of defense contractors in the state, as well as a very large workforce for all four military branches. Feel free to PM me, I may not be able to help, but I can share some personal experiences.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    A lot of times the requirement for a degree can be substituted by experience. So if the OP is wanting to stay in the same career field then they can waive the degree requirement, but it sounds like he is on his way to getting one.

OP, not sure how long till you are getting out, or I missed it, but pretty much the entire Federal Gov is on lock down for new hires right now. No one is really sure how long it is supposed to last. Probably till they figure out some of this budget mess.

There is always the contractor route. In times when the federal departments are in a hiring freeze, a lot of the times they can still bring people in as contractors. Then later down the road you have a better foot in the door to get picked up on the Gov side. At least this is how it works when dealing with working for one of the branches of the military, not sure if it is the same when dealing with FBI, DHS, Ect.

If you are coming back to IN when you get out there are a lot of defense contractors in the state, as well as a very large workforce for all four military branches. Feel free to PM me, I may not be able to help, but I can share some personal experiences.

Actually most of the contractors are a no go right now. They are cutting pretty much all of them IF the sequestering goes through. As in cut for good (until the budget gets passed if ever). My agency is planning to furlough us 12-14 days the rest of this fiscal year and are getting ready to cancel most of the contract workers we use to suppliment different departments. The FBI is getting 1,000 agents furlouhed and everyone else on and on and on.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Actually most of the contractors are a no go right now. They are cutting pretty much all of them IF the sequestering goes through. As in cut for good (until the budget gets passed if ever). My agency is planning to furlough us 12-14 days the rest of this fiscal year and are getting ready to cancel most of the contract workers we use to suppliment different departments. The FBI is getting 1,000 agents furlouhed and everyone else on and on and on.

Yeah I understand the contractors won't be adding to a lot of their workforce for sometime. But they are going to be able to hire people long before the GOV will, if and when the budgetary carp gets figured out. Close to the same thing happened where I work in '04, but not on a nation wide scale.

The contractors that we deal with are sending some people home, but most are secure through the end of the year. One big problem there is getting people in Contracting to sign off on anything until congress figures something out, so a lot of people are basically being held in limbo until the end of the week, they don't even know right now if they are going to be able to come back to work on March 1. But then again, some of the contractors are still able to pull a bunch of OT. The dept I work for is Capitol Funded so our money is there already till the end of the FY. The real problem is going to come at the start of FY14. Right now is just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. Taking on new projects and realistically funding those projects is going to be a logistical nightmare.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Yeah I understand the contractors won't be adding to a lot of their workforce for sometime. But they are going to be able to hire people long before the GOV will, if and when the budgetary carp gets figured out. Close to the same thing happened where I work in '04, but not on a nation wide scale.

The contractors that we deal with are sending some people home, but most are secure through the end of the year. One big problem there is getting people in Contracting to sign off on anything until congress figures something out, so a lot of people are basically being held in limbo until the end of the week, they don't even know right now if they are going to be able to come back to work on March 1. But then again, some of the contractors are still able to pull a bunch of OT. The dept I work for is Capitol Funded so our money is there already till the end of the FY. The real problem is going to come at the start of FY14. Right now is just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. Taking on new projects and realistically funding those projects is going to be a logistical nightmare.

What I find funny is although the doom and gloom is out on us getting furloughed my agency is still hiring folks and promoting others with some promotions involving a paid move to another location! If we could vote on it most of us would vote to slow down on the paid moves for a minute!

Crazy!

Top Bottom