• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leedawg77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    I prefer an ankle holster for my 9mm due to feel. But I do find that the gun sticks out a bit and it becomes rather obvious that I am carrying. Also not sure about the logistics of it in a self defense situation. Having to bend down, lift pant leg and unstrap piece.

What is everyone's opinions?

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    Ankle carry is very dependant on three things. Holster is #1. A cheap one-size that fits X amount of guns is a bad choice. Pants are next, bootcut or similar are pants are best. What size 9mm are you trying to carry? I use a Galco ankle glove and a J frame Smith. It is not usually my main means of carry. If I'm dressed up and anything else is too obvious, I might use the ankle gun. Otherwise it is a way to carry a second gun. It is easy to access when seated, like in a car when a belt holster is covered with seatbelt, coat, etc.

leedawg77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    My main carry lately has been my Kel-Tec p11 or a Sig P229 (40). Unfortunately the holster (Bulldog?) I got is one that fits a certain size of gun instead of a specific gun. Which is probably why it fits the way it does. I will check out Galco holsters.

Thanks for your input.

lowriderjim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Huntington
    I carry a Ruger LCR in a Blackhawk ankle rig. I believe it is a size 00. This is an easy and secure rig. The downside is that an ankle rig is not a fast draw rig.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I carry a Ruger LCR in a Blackhawk ankle rig. I believe it is a size 00. This is an easy and secure rig. The downside is that an ankle rig is not a fast draw rig.

I wear the same setup on this end, I can walk around all day & hardly ever notice that I am wearing it, let alone have anyone else notice.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    For a backup gun, sound idea. Primary, less than optimal.

Good if you sit or drive. Good if you may find yourself on the ground in a fight (and you likely will be).:D

Don't bend down, don't do the Karate Kid crane thing. Keep your feet planted and keep your eyes up like in a forward bend in yoga (some guys kneel). Lift with both hands and then draw. On your back, where you will likely be, care must be taken not to laser yourself in the draw.

I recommend that you invest in a blue gun so you can work these issues out in your living room before you try it live and set yourself on fire. Don't be in a hurry to re-holster on the ankle. As well, some guys I know have their pants modified (adding velco strips to the leg), may want to check on that.

Alessi makes my favorite ankle rig.

col132

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    I've been using an ankle holster on and off for 30 years. Why. Because like any other piece of gear, it fit the particular situation I was in at the time. Your environment and possible tactics drive the gear train.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    My J frame and Galco ankle glove are becoming my new EDC. Not that I prefer it over my Glock in a belt holster for a defense situation, but there are some places I really can't afford for it to be known I'm carrying and my issued work shirts don't give much opportunity for concealment. A slow draw from the ankle is still better than leaving it at home. My only issue is that it chaps my skin a little after a week of 12 hour days with it on.

swat1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Martinsville
    I carry a Glock 27 in a Fobus Ankle Holster almost daily. It is very comfortable and unobtrusive when worn at work over a pair of boots. When I am off duty and use the same holster with low top footwear it is definately more noticable, and not nearly as comfortable.

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    My J frame and Galco ankle glove are becoming my new EDC. Not that I prefer it over my Glock in a belt holster for a defense situation, but there are some places I really can't afford for it to be known I'm carrying and my issued work shirts don't give much opportunity for concealment. A slow draw from the ankle is still better than leaving it at home. My only issue is that it chaps my skin a little after a week of 12 hour days with it on.

A little trick I have used in the past is to wear a very thin dress sock under the holster. Cuts down on chaffing and wicks the sweat away. Might seem silly to wear an extra sock on one foot but it works.

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    I usually use a ankle holster when I carry a back up gun. I tend to not use a ankle holster when it is my only carry that day, it just seems to slow to draw if a situation ever arises that I would have to draw my firearm.

Top Bottom