Anyone here use Net Talk for phone service?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    Hi guys:

I've seen several commercials for Net Talk Free Local and Long Distance Calling with netTALK's DUO for unlimited phone service for $29/YEAR. Its similar to VONAGE, and am trying to find a less-expensive solution for my parent's phone service. They have Comcast Voice, and their monthly bill just shot through the roof.

I used to use Magic Jack, but dumped it because it seldom worked properly. It appears that the Net Talk adapter plugs into the USB port (just like Magic Jack) and also directly into your cable/DSL modem (like Vonage). But I'm curious to know what the quality is like, and what tech support is like if anyone here uses the Net Talk service?

Thanks,

Erick

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I saw those commercials and wondered the same thing. I thought the commercial said that no computer was required though?

What kind of problems did you have with MagicJack? I've been using one for months now and it seems to work fine. The only complaint I have with it is that the caller ID doesn't work right and its not compatible with my fax machine. However, for 20 bucks a year, I don't expect premium features.

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    It has 2 setup options. If you are on WI-FI or other wireless connection, you can plug it into your USB port. Or, you can plug it directly into your modem, just as you'd do with Vonage.

I had Magic Jack about 2 years ago. Sometimes call quality was great, and faxes went through; other times call quality/sound just absolutely sucked, and many people told me that they'd just get a "fast busy signal" when they tried to call me on Magic Jack. Also, I would not get voicemails for weeks sometimes. At that time, I was looking for a job and needed a reliable phone, and Magic Jack just couldn't provide what I needed. Also, I'd be on the phone, and I could actually hear the call fading before it dropped completely. Their response was to re-boot my computer each time I chatted with them.

-Erick

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    First of all, I don't want you to think I was ignoring this thread. I admit I did kind of forget about it for a while.

At the risk of sounding like a magic jack spokesperson, from what I have read elsewhere on the web, I believe they have improved their service somewhat over time because they have managed to also become more popular. I have to believe some competition can only reinforce that. There are more than a few forums that are not affiliated with them that you may want to take a look at. I have read in more than one place that the slower your internet connection is, the poorer the service will be. I happen to use Comcast.

I still can't really offer you any insight regarding Net Talk because I know nothing about them other than what I've seen on their commercials.

I hope you can find the information and/or service you need.

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your time. The more I read, I find more good than bad about Net Talk. Might be useful for my parents who are retired and don't have much money coming in.

Erick

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I have the MajicJack and I've tried all kinds of configurations for it and this is what I found to make it work to it's optimum potential.

I found that direct cable connection from the dedicated laptop to the router is the way to go. Wireless introduced static and choppy audio.

My 2.4 Ghz cordless phones introduced poor results also, static and broken audio. I upgraded to the DECT 6.0 cordless 3 phone setup and it's fantastic! Reports say that the 2.4 Ghz cordless phones operate to close to my routers wireless frequency causing interference.

In my router configuration I enabled QOS (quality of service) and now the router will prioritize bandwidth to the laptop hosting the magicjack. I still get full bandwidth to my other computers but if a call comes in and i'm downloading something then the phone gets priority. When I hangup the download will resume full speed. Although I don't notice much difference.

In a nutshell alot of people don't know these 3 things to optimize their VOIP connection and thus complain that VOIP is no good. Suffice to place the blame on the device instructions because they don't mention these things. A fast cable broadband connection doesn't hurt to have either.

I've been mulling over the NetTalk device as of late also since it doesn't require a 24/7 running computer. I spent a little time yesterday on their forum and done quite a bit of reading and have come to the conclusion that's it's not quite ready for prime time. I think i'll give NetTalk a bit more time to mature.

If anyone here runs the NetTalk, I would also be interested in hearing how it's working for you. For now I'll keep MagicJack since i've had it now for two years and it's been flawless with my setup.

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    Hello:

thanks for your reply...wish I knew this when I had Magicjack, but I just got so frustrated with their sucky tech support...no one knew what to do except to uninstall/reinstall and reboot my laptop several times...that's all their capable of doing, so I threw it away...

Erick

Top Bottom