• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    No matter what gun you use just don’t be afraid to shoot it until it’s dead. I bet your 30-06 will be fine.

This is good advice. Many guides report that hunters admiring their first shot instead of instantly reloading and firing follow up shot(s) is a common occurrence. Before I went to Africa I made it a point to include immediately working the action after the shot in my live fire and dry fire practice routine.

87bluejay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Take a listen to the "Backcounty Hunting" podcast with Joseph Von Benedikt . The March 18, 2019 episode was on a DIY moose hunt in Alaska. Has loads of information and tips...

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Seems you've been given a lot of good advice in the thread...

the only one thing I can offer as a guy who is neither a hunter nor a bolt action rifle shooter: Maybe consider a polymer stock upgrade for your rifle.

Water doesn't play well with wood. And, yes, while people have been hunting with wood stocked guns in that environment for 150 years or so - if the gun has sentimental and/or collector value, I may swap stocks so I don't ruin the wooden one.

Top Bottom