Anyone into Balisongs (Butterfly) knives?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    I have a few and they are fun to flip. Start slow, be careful and keep the bandaids close. I never really carried one, but I have seen a few nice ones with pocket clips that look interesting to try.

Revopop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Evansville, the Shallow South
    I've always thought they were cool. When I was a kid & everybody else had a switchblade comb, I had a butterfly one. I've wanted a good Balisong for years, but the problem is that there's no middle range. Your only options are gun show crap for $20 or Benchmade (or custom) for at least a couple hundred bucks. I finally got mine a couple months ago, got a deal on a classic Benchmade Bali with the classic Weehawk blade style. I like it, but I may end up selling it and getting something a little smaller that I'll actually carry. Flipping it is a lot of fun though, & if you start slow and don't get too ambitious it's easy to avoid injury. No band-aids for me!

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    If you want some training find yourself a Filipino hooker. All Filipino hookers carry at least one butterfly knife. I saw enough butterfly knives in the PI I have no desire to see any every again.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I've had some flip time in the past. Don't own any now, but learned some two hand stuff. Fun stuff!

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    You either like them or you don't, the benchmade 42 is the best to flip. I wasn't a szabofly right now, I'd give my first bron for one...

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I am about 99% the maker of this knife, Nathan Dewey is from Indiana as well... I am 9th on his list and he is on number 3 right now.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Don't let the "band-aid" thing scare you away from the balisong. I was into two handed/two knife practice years ago and never cut myself once. You just need to know the correct open side. Start with your dominant hand and once you get it, you will never forget it. A good balanced one helps in the learning process. If they are too sloppy, it makes it harder to get good at it.

One suggestion is to stand up when learning. This position allows for fluid movement. If you know someone who is good with one, make them SLOW DOWN. Flash is for later on. Check legalities. Back when they were illegal in Indiana. Why is beyond me. They are more of a distraction tool while the opponent gets kicked in the nuts from the bedazzlement of the show. If needed, they have a blade and a blunt side. :):

One other suggestion, at some point learn to reduce the slapping noise. You should be able to go through all the motions without hearing metal clash. It's like stopping the motion before it hits yet never really stopping the motion.

btw. my mini xray vision SOG has caused me some nasty cuts and the balisong is just way more friendlier and fun.

Also, a cute girl turned me onto the flip tradition and she was a master of it.

Never underestimate a cute girl. :D

I hope this helps.

Top Bottom