• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    I decided I want to become more active on my bike. I plan on doing the Tour de Cure this June (75K). Any advice you can throw my way? I am riding a Schwinn World 10-speed and my first day out this spring did a 15 mile ride.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I bike 7-12 miles a day when the weather permits (usually 4-5 days a week). Make sure you build up to it, sore butt goes away once you've gotten some miles over time. For a 75k make sure to keep hydrated, you don't realize how much you sweat while on a bike. Electrolyte replacement is also a must.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've been riding since I quite smoking almost seven years ago. At one point two summers ago I was up over 100 miles/week.

The biggest thing is to build your base. Get into a routine of 10-20/miles a day and at least one long (20+) ride a week. I'd try to be very comfortable with a 30-35 mile ride before the 75K (~45 miles).

You need to take care of two things when riding - your legs and lower back. Stretch plenty before and after. Also, bike shorts work. They make baggy ones, or you can wear the tights under another pair of shorts (I do this all the time). It is a lot of pressure to put on a small piece of real estate, so just do it.

One last tip. If muscle soreness becomes a problem, make sure you're taking in some sort of blend of carbs and protein. I swore by Endurox R4 when I started and it worked very well for me. Nowadays, just glass of milk or a protein shake does the trick. YMMV.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Agree with the bike shorts. They are a must.

If your pedals have baskets on them, that helps. If not, get them or clips. Being able to pull up instead of just pushing down makes a huge difference.

Safety - don't forget a helmet and a helmet-mounted mirror. The mirror makes it easier to keep track of what is happening around you. Gloves can save a lot of skin if you take a tumble.

Be sure your bike is adjusted properly to your size (seat height, etc). Google "bike fitting."

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    To quote the great Eddy Merckx, "Ride lots".

After you get to the point where your not getting sore, and your used to riding 20 miles. Go out one day and ride 30 miles, maybe go a little slower than normal. Do this for a couple of weeks and the go out for 40 miles.

Try riding with a friend. Riding with someone else can force you to keep peddling when you would normally slack up.

Once or twice a week during a ride, go as hard as you can for a short distance, really make yourself go into oxygen debt.

Always drink lots of water, and eat snacks on your longer rides.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I just started riding about 2 years ago and love every minute of it.

I have been out on the roads for a while now. Riding with a friend is very helpful and as with any sport fluids!! If you stop pedaling keep your pedals level, its more aerodynamic. Sit back in your seat when going up hill.

I am also a physical education major and have done a bunch of research and looked at several case studies about the bodies of cyclist, I have found some interesting info:
    Cyclists are prone to osteoporosis, our sport has little weight bearing activity, so try to add weights or running. Also, the stronger your core is the better you will be able to ride. If your core is tired/weak so will your pedal stroke.

If you ever want someone to ride with pm me! I am going to Bloomington on Saturday, hopefully will find the IU team and ride with them, they dont really like it, but its funny to pace their group!

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Any one interested in a 6 to 8 year old Trek 1000?
    It's been in the garage most of it's life and the frame is too small for me. I'm 6'01 with a 34 inch inseam
    Make me a reasonable offer
    Ask Questions & I'll try to answer them

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I'd be interested in a Canondale set up for off road trails. Cost is a big consideration, color, scratches, camo paint wouldn't chase me away. Everything has got to work and fit a guy 6' tall.

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    i BMX'd for 12 years as a kid. Before every race i would eat bannas and oranges and a lil chocolate to get things movin. Now since I've got a couple screwes in my hip (thank you terrorists), I moved to Mountain biking.
    Good luck in your training and if in mid ride you don't wanna die, pedal harder!

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Train however your schedule allows. Shorts, shoes, pedals, and gloves are nice but not needed. All that is really needed is you, a bike, and a helmet. Check out Cibaride.org, I do alot of group rides with them.

If you are in decent shape you should be able to go on a 45 mile ride now, just resulting in a sore butt. For that short of a ride, just ride when ya can and however long ya can... If you are doing for leisure and health, there aren't really any specifics on training you need to focus on. For a 45 mile ride, unless in extreme heat 2 water bottles sipped on should last. Unless I'm doing a long ride 80-100+ miles in a day I just drink water while riding.

Cycling is unlike alot of sports where you need to make sure you eat before hand for energy so you don't "bonk" or "hit the wall." If you are going to go on a 2+ hour ride I like to have an energy packet, or granola bar on me to munch on for calorie/energy intake.

If you wanna accesorise a bit. Shorts are worth their weight in gold, as are shoes, and pedals. All can be gotten cheap off of ebay. Go to a local bike shop for a good helmet, can get one for about 35 bucks. The foam breaks down and need to replace your helmet 3-5 years depending on storage. Instantly if you wreck and hit your head.

Cycling is a great way to get in shape that is low impact, very enjoyable, and a great way to meet new people. Just make sure to stretch afterwards!

Top Bottom