Anyone know a non-creepy way to ask your neighbor...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    ... to change wifi channels???

I have 3 neighbors' networks fighting over channel #11, one very distant one on #9 that only shows up outside and a close, powerful one on #4, and I was on #6. I was having range and connection issues that I traced down to interference from #4, so I switched to #1, but #4 and #1 still walk on each other and I will occasionally lose my connection. It would be great if #4 neighbor switched to #6 so none of us would be walking on each other... except the #11's

How would you approach this?

Last edited:

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Ask them if they have WiFi issues. Then tell them how the channels overlap. Maybe they have issues too and don't know how channels work and will let you help them switch things around.

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    I have a nice little WiFi analyzer app for my android phone. It will graph all the wifi channels with signal levels and SSID's.

I just approached the neighbors and asked about coordinating the channels to avoid interference. (Except for the one that did not change his router password. Took care of that one remotely)

Most folks want their wireless to work better and are willing to move things around if you can convince them it will help.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I don't know if all of my Wifi devices are 5 Ghz capable...

EDIT: New laptop and my Android are N capable, my wife's Android and the old laptop are not... nor is my router.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    ... to change wifi channels???

I have 3 neighbors' networks fighting over channel #11, one very distant one on #9 that only shows up outside and a close, powerful one on #4, and I was on #6. I was having range and connection issues that I traced down to interference from #4, so I switched to #1, but #4 and #1 still walk on each other and I will occasionally lose my connection. It would be great if #4 neighbor switched to #6 so none of us would be walking on each other... except the #11's

How would you approach this?

Have you tried putting yours on 7 or 8? I'm not sure of the exact freq's so I can't calculate harmonics.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Have you tried putting yours on 7 or 8? I'm not sure of the exact freq's so I can't calculate harmonics.

They are best spaced by 5 channels to avoid interference.

From Tech-Juice.org... (ONLY 1-11 available in USA)
    2.4_GHz_Wi-Fi_channels_802.11bg_WLAN1.png

Top Bottom