Anyone know any successful tool truck guys?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    Been thinking about doing something for a little extra income and thought operating my own tool truck part time sounded great. Been researching a little bit between Mac and Matco and then found some of the start up costs. Mac wants almost 6k plus 1200 annually for a franchise where Matco charges a 1 time 7k fee. On top of those they bill you for computer, website, network to accept credit cards etc. and all that with no inventory yet. I guess this is their way of weeding out people, but honestly don’t see how a person could do it? I wouldn’t want the overhead of a full inventoried truck, I think you could easily be 150k or more in debt just starting out.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I was a Matco guy for 6 years. It is NOT a part time job. I broke even after getting out after 6 years. I sold a bunch of tools and toolboxes. I made pretty good money. I got tired of tracking down deadbeats that owed me money.

It takes a special person to be a tool guy. I can't imagine doing it part time. Those guys expect you every week at the same time. And they expect a full inventoried truck. Or they will laugh at you as you leave.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    You could drive a route FOR another driver/owner. I know for a fact that MAC does that sorta arrangement.

But yeah. It ain't gonna be part time.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    As others have stated, definitely not a part time job. I work in the auto repair industry, and i know my Snap On dealer probably works at least 60 hours a week out of the truck. Then you have all the after work stuff to do, parts inventory, reordering inventory as well as claims on warrantied tools, bookwork, etc. Probably another 5-10 hours per week there.
    And having worked as a mechanic for 27 years, i can tell you i definitely expect my tool guy to be there every week and within a time window as well. Being able to warranty tools and they are in stock on the truck is huge too.
    Anymore only my SnapOn dealer can meet my expectations, so for the last 15 years He's all i buy from anymore. He is like clockwork week in and week out with a well stocked truck.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    You could drive a route FOR another driver/owner. I know for a fact that MAC does that sorta arrangement. But yeah. It ain't gonna be part time.

I worked with a guy who had done just that as a prior career choice. He was adamant that the only one who profited from that arrangement was the other guy who owned the truck.

jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I was a Matco guy for 6 years. It is NOT a part time job. I broke even after getting out after 6 years. I sold a bunch of tools and toolboxes. I made pretty good money. I got tired of tracking down deadbeats that owed me money.

It takes a special person to be a tool guy. I can't imagine doing it part time. Those guys expect you every week at the same time. And they expect a full inventoried truck. Or they will laugh at you as you leave.

Out of high school I worked at a dealership as a detailer and I would buy tools from our Matco guy, he was awesome. He told me once he was filing small claims against a couple bums who owed him less than $50. He said it would cost him more than it was worth, but just ticked him off that they kept avoiding paying him.

Top Bottom