Anyone know anything about a Romanian AK-47 WUM-1?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Have a chance to pick one up. Wondering what a good price is. No mags.

I don't know much about AKs and only have an SKS.

30dj.jpg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The WUM series were the earliest Romanian AKs to be imported. That one is an earlier variant, with the square-cut receiver (good) and the PSL-type side rail (not so good). The buttstock has been modified, presumably by the original owner, with spacers at the back end and the pistol grip. The tack-welded muzzle nut has also been removed and a flash hider threaded on. If you choose to put a pistol grip and standard AK stock on this gun, you will need to do the 922(r) compliance dance.

WUMs are generally regarded as among the best Romanian AKs in terms of quality, being far superior to the SARs and WASRs.

As far as a good price, that's up to you. What is he asking? I personally wouldn't pay more than ~$400 for the gun as shown with no mags.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The WUM series were the earliest Romanian AKs to be imported. That one is an earlier variant, with the square-cut receiver (good) and the PSL-type side rail (not so good). The buttstock has been modified, presumably by the original owner, with spacers at the back end and the pistol grip. The tack-welded muzzle nut has also been removed and a flash hider threaded on. If you choose to put a pistol grip and standard AK stock on this gun, you will need to do the 922(r) compliance dance.

WUMs are generally regarded as among the best Romanian AKs in terms of quality, being far superior to the SARs and WASRs.

As far as a good price, that's up to you. What is he asking? I personally wouldn't pay more than ~$400 for the gun as shown with no mags.

Decided to buy it and $400 is the price. I am doing the buy for two reasons. One is that I am buying it from a friends mother who's son owned it and passed away and wanted to give a decent price. The other is that I don't have an AK. This one will do.

Thanks for the info. I had done some research and started coming up with prices with mags so tried to decide a good price without. Sounds about right.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Yeah I'd buy it for $400 too. Just find a matching buttstock and add the US parts; you will have a sweet looking rifle.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Original style stocks for that can be found fairly easily and inexpensive. Assuming the muzzle has been threaded, if you want the original look, just install a muzzle nut.

Those are really nice rifles, and even with the bubba stock would be hard to pass up for the price you quoted!

Good luck and enjoy.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Nice score for $400! Now just get that Romy some traditional furniture, a standard muzzle device, some mags, some ammo, and then go shoot the crap out of it! :)

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

Looks like if I want to make it 922(r) compliant I would have to replace the stock set, trigger and hammer with US parts. The flash hider is already a US part. That puts it at 10.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Looks like if I want to make it 922(r) compliant I would have to replace the stock set, trigger and hammer with US parts. The flash hider is already a US part. That puts it at 10.
    Your trigger group should count as 3 parts if I remember correctly, so you should definitely be okay. When I added a muzzle brake to my Maadi I replaced the trigger group, pistol grip (kept the original stock and fore end) and gas piston to bring it into compliance.

Top Bottom