Anyone know anything about Antique swords? Any Freemasons in the house?History Buffs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    Awesome find! I am Mason but by no means a buff. That would be cool to have Mason or not. I need to start going to antique shops!:rockwoot:

collectors

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Hello I stumbled apon your sword threw goggle because I have some sword with a few small differences 1 mine was made by a pettis & ranken out of troy ny and 2 instead of the 19 mine has a 17 on its sheath This sword was passed down to my by my father a few years back but He never said where he got it from im guessing a flee market or something. threw some searching i found this info on pettis & ranken
    julius ranken pettis(j.r.pettis) company was in business from about 1863-1867. he was also in a previous business with henry ranken called pettis and ranken. both companies made masonic regalia. aka pettis and ranken so this sword was produce before 1863 but not sure how soon before. I can not find that info yet. but from what i understand this sword can sell for 80-400 range depending on rarity cause there are many different types of Freemason sword. If anyone find this information out let me know would love to know a closer date.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Later today I will be posting pictures of a M.C. Lilly Co. sword that was given to me buy my grandmother, who got it from her father.
    Mine is similar but has its differences from the swords posted.
    I would be very interested to find any Info. on this sword that I can.

OK... sorry I took several pictures hope I'm not takeing up to much room on your thread.

When I asked my grandmother she said she was not sure if it belonged to a family member or not she just knows that her father had it since atleast the 40's...
    I am also trying to locate the original hat that went with the sword, my mom and grandmother said they were together for a very long time in a cabinet before they moved houses and they were seperated.
    My first memory of teh sword was that it hung on a nail in their garage "inside leather bag" I never knew what it was or payed much Attn. but when I was mabey 10 curiosity got the best of me I climbed up and at the time to me it was like finding the holy grail.
    I was into fencing growing up and collected knives and swords. It was added to my collection of swords from medievil times etc. which my grandparents kept until I recently moved out on my owm.

Last edited:

Goddess Nirriti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    I would like to speak to you.

Hello, this might shock you and its probably not the response you expected... I too live in Indianapolis and I have almost the exact same sword: yours is in better condition though. My Father took the sword and lost the case after he moved out when I was a child. When I later visited him, I asked to have the sword. After all I did find it. He said yes, but I had to promised my Father I would never sell it. It's starting to get a little rusty and I'm not sure how to make it stop. I would love to find out the history behind these beautiful swords. I found the sword in a coal room in our old house on the east side of Indianapolis when I was 7yrs old. Mine has the initials F.E. engraved on the cross at the T of the handle and Indian or tribal markings on both sides of the blade. Where your is like a woven pattern at the T; mine has slashes. In the same basement where I found this sword; at age 15 I experienced a full bodied apparition. If that wasn't shocking enough the man had a matching dagger of the sword... I never went back into that basement again but I now live across the street from my childhood home. I've been fascinated with swords and ghost's ever since. I don't know you and I wished we could meet in person and compare them. Go to KristenReckert@facebook.com to see the sword. I made the pictures public.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Hello, this might shock you and its probably not the response you expected... I too live in Indianapolis and I have almost the exact same sword: yours is in better condition though. My Father took the sword and lost the case after he moved out when I was a child. When I later visited him, I asked to have the sword. After all I did find it. He said yes, but I had to promised my Father I would never sell it. It's starting to get a little rusty and I'm not sure how to make it stop. I would love to find out the history behind these beautiful swords. I found the sword in a coal room in our old house on the east side of Indianapolis when I was 7yrs old. Mine has the initials F.E. engraved on the cross at the T of the handle and Indian or tribal markings on both sides of the blade. Where your is like a woven pattern at the T; mine has slashes. In the same basement where I found this sword; at age 15 I experienced a full bodied apparition. If that wasn't shocking enough the man had a matching dagger of the sword... I never went back into that basement again but I now live across the street from my childhood home. I've been fascinated with swords and ghost's ever since. I don't know you and I wished we could meet in person and compare them. Go to KristenReckert@facebook.com to see the sword. I made the pictures public.

I would be interested in seeing those pictures, but I don't facebook. Are you willing to upload them to something like photobucket where everyone can see them? :) BTW, :welcome: to :ingo:!

Blessings,
    Bill

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Wow its been like a year. since i've even looked at this.

I recently lent the sword to a buddy of mine who is a freemason here in Noblesville. They are gonna do a little more looking.

And i shot you a message on FB Nirriti. Welcome to :ingo:!

Glad my thread could be your first :D

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    True statements. We're, in fact, very careful about cleaning the blood off the blades. :D

I would almost take issue with the statement that the "Knights Templar are.. ..the most important Masonic organization in the United States." That would be Blue Lodge.

I considered both York and Scottish early on and felt more led to Scottish Rite.

Cool find on the sword. Purely ceremonial and, like most Masonic regalia, not particularly valuable to those outside the Brotherhood. However, it is a nice example and think you did well.

Top Bottom