Anyone know anything about Night Vision?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Hey everyone-Looking to add a night vision scope to my AR. Does anyone know anything about them? Ive been searching the web for reviews and such, as of now I am looking for a Gen 1, (because of cost) and came across this: ATN Guardian 2.5x50.
    Reviews seem promising!

Specs:
    Image Intensifier Tube1st GenMagnification2.5XLens systemF1:1.2, F50mmFOV17°Range of focus1m to infinityReticleRed On GreenWindage & elevation adjustments1/8MOAIR illuminatorSuper 450mwPower supplyOne 3 voltBattery life10-20 hoursDimensions280 x 85 x 105 mm
    11" x 3.3" x 4.1"Detection range150 mRecognition range100 mDiopter adjustment+/-5Operating temperature-40°C to +40°CWeight1.3 kg (2.9 lbs)

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IMHO, Gen 1, go fly a kite.

Gen 1 isn't even worth their weight in scrap. There is a little cool factor involved, but the usefulness is minimal, so after to cool factor wears off they're just a toy that sits on the shelf. Gen 1 scopes are also VERY heavy.

Save your money and get a gen 2 at the minimum, but gen 3 would be best.

Gen 1 you will need a full moon night to make things actually visible, and even then, they're going to be really blurry. Very little visible range.

Gen 2 has a little bit better picture and can function with a little less light, but you will still need significant natural light. Slightly better visible range.

Gen 3 has the best picture (not very blurry) and will function at nearly no-light conditions. You can also see at decent range with Gen 3.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I'd also add that if it uses a Gen I Soviet intensifier, they tended to put out huge amounts of X-Rays, aimed right at your eye. Also, as available light goes down, if the electronics have auto-gain, the image gets VERY grainy as it amplifies more and more noise coming from the Gen I tube.

And, as CountryBoy said, they are VERY heavy.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Gen 1 will operate with IR LED light - you don't need a visible light source... Just an IR LED flashlight.

FWIW, you can use the same technique for most digital cameras. In fact, you can try it out: Take your TV remote, aim it at your camera, and watch the LED light! :D

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    I have a gen 1 & a gen 3, the difference is daylight & dark. With the gen 1 you can make out anything that has eyes or the color white as lomg as you are using the IR, however its a monocular so after youve looked thru it for 30 mins with your right eye your blind once you take it away from your face. you can deffinetly see critters that cant see you, which can also land you in a scary position if not cautios. The gen 3 is a binocular with head gear it is very nice it turns night into day :twocents:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rickyjohnson111
    Top Bottom