Anyone know someone that works/owns a Nursery?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Wanting something that keeps their shape as they get bigger?
    Bradford Pear (the non fruit bearing pear tree) keep their shape pretty good, in a few years once they get big you can get a good amount of shade.

They can stink in the spring time though.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I'm looking for a tree that is primary for shade. Maybe something that changes color in fall?

Bradfords would turn a yellow-red in the fall. Get 20-25 feet tall maybe, hold their shape... if they aren't to close to the house or if they are and you aren't getting but a couple, they are worth a look.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    You don't want a Bradford Pear at all. They are brittle trees and snap off easily in a stiff breeze. They also don't live long, compared to hardwood trees.

Depending on your soil and location a arborist should be able to recommend the right tree. I'm not sure where you are located, but the largest nursery in Indiana is Schneider's Nursery. Their number is 812-522-4068. They are by far not the cheapest but will replace the tree if it doesn't live the first year. This helps alot if you run into a hot dry summer.

You can also call your extension office and they can help advise you on what to plant for your needs.

There is also the State Nursery, though they don't sell trees for landscaping, they sell them for conservational planting, they have 3 foresters on staff that could answer your questions and give you advice too. Their number is 812-358-3621.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Probably the worst choice of trees is a Bradford Pear. Sorry but that is just bad advise. Rayne hit some of the problems. If you want a similar tree there are a few "better" alternatives. Aristocrat Pear is stronger branched than Bradford. Cleveland Select is a little narrower and also tends to hold up a little better. The only pear that I spec is Cleveland Select and those rarely.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    I'm in the same position as you. I want a few shade/privacy trees that get roughly 30 ft tall.

I have a ton of Bradford Pears around my neighborhood and my mom always complains about them when she visits. Like stated above, she said no way would she ever recommend one due to how brittle they are.

Top Bottom