Anyone knowledgeable Luger/P08 people here? What do I have?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Bought this at an estate auction today. I figure it will make a good shooter and thats all Im after. I looked up prices online before I bought it and figured worst case I paid what its worth.

Looks to be all numbers matching except for the magazine. Nothing included but the pistol.

so what do I have here? or can you point me to a Luger pistol guide online?

thanks!
    clay

Update: I picked up the pistol today, took it home and cleaned it up with a little CLP and a cloth.

Updated pictures:

P08-1.jpg

P08-2.jpg

P08-3.jpg

P08-4.jpg

P08-5.jpg

P08-6.jpg

P08-7.jpg

P08-8.jpg

P08-9.jpg

P08-10.jpg

P08-11.jpg

P08-12.jpg

P08-13.jpg

P08-14.jpg

P08-15.jpg

P08-16.jpg

P08-17.jpg

P08-18.jpg

Last edited:

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Looks like an imperial DWM with a possible third reich mag which is way out of place. Not unusually for the mags not to be matching. A lot of mags were mismatched by our troops as they were acquired and brought back home.

Condition is everything with Lugers. Looks rough so it's just a shooter. Go out and enjoy your German engineering.

The mag has value to the owner of gun number 802. There is a forum where you can post your mag number with the hopes of one day reuniting the mag and gun as God had intended it to be...

Last edited:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Looks like a DWM Luger from 1916, my brother has a DWM from 1918 and it shoots great! His is also all #'s matching besides the mags. Also it looks to be in good condition, let us know she shoots! If I remember correctly my bro paid $750 for his, but we did drive a good bit to get it.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Hopefully Ill have it in my hand on tuesday, and post some better pictures.

oh, and I got it for $550. From what I've seen online I think that is reasonable.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Well I picked it up today :) Updated pics are in the first post.

I immediately cleaned it up with some CLP and a cloth, and elbow grease where required.

There is normal wear and tear on the pistol. Wear on the edges and places that would rub on a holster. There is a scratch on the left side from who knows what, and someone at some point put a mark on the bottom side of the barrel, right on the first digit of the serial number, almost like they were trying to remove it. I missed that part at the auction, but Im not worried.

The majority of the bluing is in tact. There are a few spots of corrosion in the blue, mostly on the barrel, but for a 98 year old pistol that was probably in 2 world wars, Im good with it ;)

All of the 'bare' parts were at one time 'straw' colored. There are still spots on all of them (trigger, retaining plate, retaining pin, back side of mag release, ejector, and safety lever (maybe more?)) that still have that nice yellow straw color.

In all, I've counted 15 matching parts on the pistol, all marked with a 99, including both grip panels. In fact I didn't find anything that didn't match. The grips also have that funky pattern on both sides. No idea what thats all about, but its been there for a while by the looks of things.

Overall Im really happy with it. A 98 year old pistol in pretty good shape with all matching parts (less the magazine). Im hoping I can talk to the previous owner and see if there is any story with it, or maybe even some bring back papers. Im assuming her late husband brought it back from one of the great wars, but I have no idea on that one.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I finally took this beauty out a few days ago. Its an absolute blast to shoot, and fairly accurate!!

Totally happy with my purchase!

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    You stole that Luger. Everytime I see them at local auctions they go for a thousand plus range. You did well.

I'm guessing he knows this as well.
    I have one from the same year, all matching, "straw" in tact with holster, cleaning rod, 2 mags with the wood floor plates.

Throws brass at my forehead, for this reason I don't shoot it very much.

Top Bottom