of course, BB. I've seen him twice.
    Joe Bonamassa
    lightning Hopkins
    John Lee Hooker
    Sonny Boy Williamson
    Snooky Pryor
    Eric Clapton
    Buddy Guy

I like the low down stuff more than the Chicago style. Any other fans out there?

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I love this song by Screamin' Jay.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kGPhpvqtOc]YouTube - Screamin Jay Hawkins - I put a Spell On You[/ame]

I like blues, I just don't know anything about it or who is really that good. We have two BBQ restuarants in town and both always play blues over the radio. I dig it, I just don't know who they are.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Yep, if you have XM radio check out BB King's Bluesville station. You'll get a lot of good music with variety to learn new artist and about the genre.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Delta Blues+1

Stevie is great but not really my style. I like delta blues better.

yes i agree ..
    +1 Delta Blues or some Early memphis 1920-40
    Here is a small list of some of my favorites

Bukka White
    Muddy Waters
    leadbelly
    Willie Brown
    Charlie Patton
    Blind lemon jefferson "early" Texas Blues
    Tommy jhonson
    Bessie Smith 30's female

Last edited:

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I love the Blues.....
    Have seen BB several times, same with Buddy Guy
    Got to see SRV twice and Clapton
    Big fan of
    Albert Collins
    Muddy Waters
    Albert King is the ****
    Johnny Copeland
    Son House
    Elmore James
    Blind Lemon Jefferson
    Robert Johnson is the man
    Taj Mahal is just funky cool
    Son Seals is Chicago Blues

The blues ain't nothing but a good man feeling bad......

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    wow! Yes! Too many to mention. How about, Etta James, Koko Taylor, Dana Owens, John L Hooker, R.L. Burnside, BB king, Xavier Rudd, Albert king, Lead Belly, Robert Johnson, Jeff Healeyit-Bone walker, the list goes on and on. I LOVE the BLUES!

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Im a young gun, but i have started to get into the blues more and more lately. One artist that is high on the recommendation list in Nina Simone. If you havent heard her check her out..she can belt it. If you want to listen to some of her music for next to nothing watch "The Thomas Crown Affair". A great movie with a fantastic soundtrack.

Also, Ill have to check out some of these other artists. Ive been meaning to post something very similar to this to get some new names, just havent got around to it. Thanks guys.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm always looking to find new artists as well. The problem with the blues is they get zero radio play. I've found several good ones on XM but there are several on there that I don't care for and I find it hard to keep it on there for very long. A tiny white guy with a big afro got me turned on to the blues when I was in high school. We worked together at a restaurant. There are several big names out there that I've just never bought because it gets really expensive buying cds hoping you'll like them and don't. There just isn't really anyway to know unless you have friends to recommend artists to you.

Unfortunately, the blues is a dying art. Not many young people playing them now and the greats are dying off. The first time I saw BB was at Northern Illinois University. I got to the hotel to check in before the show and saw a map of the campus and noticed they had some sort of black studies center so I figured there would be several black people there. I was appalled. There were about 4000 people there and probably less than 50 were black. Most of us looked like bikers and were wearing Harley shirts. If 50 cent were playing, you could only guess what the makeup would have been like.

I like original music. For music to work for me, I have to believe it is the band or singer telling me their story, not having someone else write a sob story and try to pass it off as your own. Most blues music is extremely original.

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    I'm always looking to find new artists as well. The problem with the blues is they get zero radio play.

Check out WFYI 90.1 FM out of Indy on Saturday nights from 8:00 to 10:00. They host the "Blues House Party" every week.
    (You can also catch it streaming online at the same times)

The first hour is normally a showcase for new artists and the second hour is for old school blues.

padishar123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Leo, IN
    All very good artists. Not sure if anyone is intersted but my dad is a blues junkie. He cuts a blues CD about every 6-9 months based on the best of the new music he has found in that time period. He's up to 8 CD's worth...see screenshots below for playlist. I personally like the Delta blues style but the big sound of Chicago is also great. Depends on my mood I guess. I've been playing guitar for years and have started learning some advanced blues riff's...very kewl sounding stuff. It's like making chili: there is no wrong way to combine ingrients (riffs). :)~

untitled1.jpg

untitled2.jpg

untitled3.jpg

untitled4.jpg

untitled5.jpg

untitled6.jpg

untitled7.jpg

Top Bottom