Anyone loading Berry's .38 148g DEWC with Unique?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I do not use unique so I cannot help you there. I use a faster powder for wadcutter loads, if you are an alliant fan, bullseye is really good. Those bullets are made to seat all the way flush. When you LIGHTLY! crimp them, all the bullet is behind the crimp. If any is sticking out after crimping, they need to go a little deeper.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    About 3.6gn of Unique, according to some.
    When I tried them, they sucked. 6-12" groups at 25 yards.
    You can seat them about ¼" above the case mouth and use a taper crimp (or a very light roll crimp that doesn't cut the plating) or seat just below the case mouth and roll crimp.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    About 3.6gn of Unique, according to some.
    When I tried them, they sucked. 6-12" groups at 25 yards.
    You can seat them about ¼" above the case mouth and use a taper crimp (or a very light roll crimp that doesn't cut the plating) or seat just below the case mouth and roll crimp.
    Oh, well that's delightful to know... lol

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Generally, flush seated. full wadcutters get best accuracy running slow. Those old bullseye shooters had loads so slow you could almost see them fly to the target.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Well, I went with 3.6 of the Unique, almost flush.
    Pretty nice...
    50 feet, sitting, elbows on bench gun raised.
    First 6 shots were pretty normal, the second 6 - sweet...
    (sorry for the stupid iPhone sideways images)

38.JPG

38-1.JPG

38-2.JPG

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Looks like a good load. The first picture of the loaded round is similar to how I seat them. I acttually seat them a little deeper. It looks like yours work really well also.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Unless a fellow is lucky enough to have one of the few Model 52 S&W semi Autos that were designed for bullseye shooters, or one of the few COLT Gold Cup .38 spl 1911's that were sold to keep S&W from stealing the show, most everyone uses these in Revolvers.

Last edited:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    S&W 686-2 6 inch with a super cool non-fluted/ unfluted cylinder.

Was wondering if that cloverleaf group was shot with a 6" barrel or longer. 686 are really well balanced with 6"barrel. At few years ago before selling it in a fit of stupid had S&W Md 14 with target grips. Like the looks the 686's much better. But still kicking myself for selling the Md 14 no dash, really wanted a 357 at the time.

Last edited:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Unless a fellow is lucky enough to have one of the few Model 52 S&W semi Autos that were designed for bullseye shooters, or one of the few COLT Gold Cup .38 spl 1911's that were sold to keep S&W from stealing the show, most everyone uses these in Revolvers.

The Colts are kinna hard to find, but 52's were in production for quite a few years. Smith 52's can easily be found.
    I own and shoot both of those Pistols very regularly, my Grandfather was a avid Bullseye shooter and i shot with him until age crept up and diminished his eyesight.
    I load Remington lead 148 grain wadcutters with Unique at 3.2 grains. It just makes the slide lock back and always has been very reliable in all my 38 wc autos.
    With Colts and Smith 38 wc autos you " must " seat the bullet flush with the end of the case and use a decent roll Crimp. The roll crimp helps with feeding issues. They are amazing Pistols to shoot. Whenever someone asks to shoot one of them they don't want to give it back after a magazine full.

Top Bottom