Anyone looking for a KelTec KSG? Inside!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I also like how people rip kel tec for raising their price to the dealers with threat of a looming ban that the ksg was listed on. Let me give you a short lesson in business economics. When a company invests serious amounts of time and money (in the millions!) Into R&D on a new product, they have a number cruncher look at how many units they have to sell before they pay off the investment.
    So just for arguments sake lets say that number is 15, 000 units. And they have already sold 5k units. So when the government comes along and says they are going to try and make your product illegal before you can recoup the costs from your investment, what are yoi going to do? You increase the price to try and get to that point before your product can no longer be sold. Its that simple.

Thanks for the lesson. :rolleyes:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I also like how people rip kel tec for raising their price to the dealers with threat of a looming ban that the ksg was listed on. Let me give you a short lesson in business economics. When a company invests serious amounts of time and money (in the millions!) Into R&D on a new product, they have a number cruncher look at how many units they have to sell before they pay off the investment.
    So just for arguments sake lets say that number is 15, 000 units. And they have already sold 5k units. So when the government comes along and says they are going to try and make your product illegal before you can recoup the costs from your investment, what are yoi going to do? You increase the price to try and get to that point before your product can no longer be sold. Its that simple.

Let me give you a quick lesson on the free market: Given a commodity that is not necessary for survival or the overall functioning of the market, they are free to price their product however they like using whatever metric they want. If I don't like their actions or their product, I'm free to rip on them and not buy one.

I do own a manufacturing company, every time I prototype something out I take the risk that the item I make won't sell at the price point I set or that I may lose my investment. My company reputation, while not a tangible asset, has real value, and if my actions damage that reputation then my company value takes a hit. Personally, I would never do something like that which has the easily forseeable result in turning off a significant portion of my customers, especially for a company like KelTec which is not known for their high end product.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I'm a shotgun guy. I love my saiga 12s, Vepr, 870 and 590. I did get to shoot the KSG and i thought it was kind of cool. I liked the fact that it's short. I wasn't a fan of switching tubes as it sort of sneaks up on you. The gun is LIGHT as hell...when you shoot it in the beginning it's great By the time you get down to the last few rounds it's punishing.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxNrX-9P--0[/ame]

15 rounds for the KSG Vs 20 rounds for a saiga 12 WIN SAIGA
    reloading 1 shell at a time VS Changing mags WIN SAIGA
    overal length... WIN KSG

darrent

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Muncie, Indiana
    overal length... WIN KSG

I think the Kushnapup stock makes the lengths really close - enough to call a tie?

picture.php

jlwest1213

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    SE Indiana
    I've heard the same thing, but then again i've never touched one myself

Never shot one but I did check one out at Westside loan a few weeks ago. While it was kinda neat I would not pay even 800.00 for one. It had a large amount of cheap looking and feeling parts on it imo.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Nice! Gonna have a range report soon?

Initial report: Cleaning and verify function prior to range tomorrow.

This cycles very nice. It is a very nice gun, but as is warned on many Youtube video, this thing is easy as heck to short stroke the action and not load a round. The picatinny rail along the bottom is almost too long. The first inch of rail near the trigger is completely unusable as this part actually slides up under the action release lever when cycling and must go that far for a full stroke.

Cycling is very easy, just hit stop to stop everytime and it works great. Even though the load/eject area appears to be very open, this will absolutely load a round and eject a round in any orientation, and I tried them all.

Also, even though the load/eject area appears to be very open, single round loading is a huge pain in the tail. Maybe I will get used to it, but I rather think I will stick to the Winchester 1300 for .50 BMG sabot slugs.

The strap that comes with it is completely useless. If you want a carry strap, buy a good one. The mounting points on the firearm are excellent, and it was disappointing to see such a worthless piece of cheap nylon included pretending to be a carry strap.

Field strip is cake, and just as easy as the Winchester, even though the process is much different.

Live fire this weekend.:ar15:

randygun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    they are listed from keltek around 900.00 new prices. from 660 to 900 they jack there own up but pmr 30 did not go up why

brute69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    I have the UTAS, hundreds of rounds and I'm still in love, 15 rounds of 3"mag without any pain, loading is great, chrome lined barrel looks like it did out of the box.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Considering you could buy a couple 870s or 590A1s for that kind of money, I don't see how it can compete.

It's a friggin keltec, someone would have to be out of their mind to drop $1k on a prototype from a company that consistently proves they don't know how to assemble a firearm, only design them.

Much less, that much money on a pump shotgun... You realize you can get an awfully nice benelli for that kind of money? Get a vepr-12 for that matter. There's no way in hell that gun is worth over $500 OTD. $1000 for a KSG is like $500 for a hipoint.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Considering you could buy a couple 870s or 590A1s for that kind of money, I don't see how it can compete.

It's a friggin keltec, someone would have to be out of their mind to drop $1k on a prototype from a company that consistently proves they don't know how to assemble a firearm, only design them.

Much less, that much money on a pump shotgun... You realize you can get an awfully nice benelli for that kind of money? Get a vepr-12 for that matter. There's no way in hell that gun is worth over $500 OTD. $1000 for a KSG is like $500 for a hipoint.
    The selling point of the KSG is 3 very desirable "attributes" of a good home-defense shotgun that can't normally be included in the same gun.

Short/maneuverability
    Magazine capacity
    Reliability of pump-action

There is no other shotgun on the market that combines all 3 of those into the same package the way the KSG does.

Do you need those all in the same package? Well, do you need an AR15? Most likely you will never NEED one in your lifetime but if the need ever arises I sure would like to have it.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    they are listed from keltek around 900.00 new prices. from 660 to 900 they jack there own up but pmr 30 did not go up why

AFAIK they only raised the price on the KSG, and that was so they didn't potentially loose a bunch of money they invested in it. It's a new model and I'm sure they dumped loads of cash in development, and machines to produce it. If it gets banned now they are out a lot of money. They were raising the price to try to reduce there losses if it gets banned.

Top Bottom