• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I didnt post this in the help wanted section because I dont expect to get paid. I am a commercial/Industrial electrician and I am good at giving a helping hand. So if anyone needs a little help for a couple of days let me know, I dont really want an everyday thing but a few days here and there would really help me stay motivated. I am not looking to make anything but if I have to drive to far I may need a little bit of gas money. I am doing this because I know everyone needs a hand once and a while and I know I need to stay in work mode. The first time I was laid off I didnt do much and it nearly killed me when I went back to work. So please if you need help raking leaves or doing any odd jobs let me know.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    That is quite the decent thing to do! I dont know if you are opposed to helping groups at all, but you may check into like your local shelters, etc. and may be able to help out there some (may even be able to use your skilled trade).

From time to time (a lot more during the summer) my dad and brother volunteered with the Salvation Army with the lunch program (soup kitchen). These organizations are always looking for help, and being that you have a trade, you might be able to give them a hand in that category. This may be something that could keep you up on your skills, and at the same time help countless other people.

Just another thought.

Last edited:

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I have thought about that also. As of right now I volunteer at ARF in Muncie. I was actually there when the place flooded this last spring and when they needed foster homes for the dogs. We actually ended up having 13 dogs in our house during that flood, most were full grown but we did have 7 newborn puppies and there mom. It was a lot of work but it was fun.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    The only problem I have with volunteer EMT or Firefighter is the length of time I would have to commit to. Once I go back to work I cant really guarantee that I could be there and I hate to break a commitment, expecially one that could really effect someone elses life. That is a good idea though.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I was in construction as a electrician as well. I was asked yesterday if I could work on a grain dryer for a guy. My health does not allow me to do that right now. If you are interested let me know.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've been thinking about installing a whole house exhaust fan, but its up in the air right now. You might also check to see if local churches and charities need your expertise. Plus one on you for offering to help folks out.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    We are in a house the electrical is jacked on. Turn on the microwave with the dryer and the entire east wall of the first floor loses power. I know how to fix it, just don't like messing with wiring.

That, and our crawl space is all of like 12" deep.

Top Bottom