Anyone nervous about going to the range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    No.

There is a much greater chance of suffering death or injury in my car while on the way to the range.

These things get blown out of all proportion.
    100% agree. Think about the odds of a car accident VS gun incident. Also far more likely to be struck by lightning at the range than being shot. The only injuries I have suffered at a range (or shooting in the country) in my 71 years have been Hammer bite from my 44 mag Blackhawk (replaced grip - fixed that), powder and shrapnel spit from my sons 22 pistol (new junk gun - he traded it for a sword and broke the sword - said it was a great trade). Also have pinched my finger / thumb a few times. Had a old shotgun that bruised my shoulder in the 60's- just a baddd gun, sold it for $8 to a real big guy (ex Golden Gloves heavyweight boxer - he shot it twice - sold it to his brother for $5 as a joke). Burned my hand while setting an SKS down a few years ago - learned what that barrel cover is for! Bout the extent of all my major injuries - unless you count ear ringing due to carelessness in using hearing protection.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Just curious if anyone is worried about their safety at the range since Chris Kyle was tragically murdered by the gentleman he was helping. My friend and I were discussing it around the time it happened.

We both agreed that we're not really nervous, and his circumstances were a little different than ours would be, but that ultimately if you're at the range and someone else is there and goes crazy (so to speak) the same thing could easily happen.

It can happen anywhere, not just at a range. Which is why I carry.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The best people I meet are always at the shooting range and I feel safer among fellow shooters than I do most anywhere else. There are some situations that you just cannot mitigate and what happened to Chris Kyle is one of them. Life is uncertain. Insanity walks our streets every day and we carry as our protection against it but we have to have some sort of balance. Without that, we would live in a cave somewhere in fear of every noise we hear. That's not living anyway, so I refuse to start worrying about the mental fitness of each and every shooter I come across.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    I've never been scared of anything intentional, but I've been at some ranges where I worried about the idiot with a gun shooting near me and his lack of safety procedures.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    YES! All the time...especially at the indoor ranges by me.

One instance where a cop accidentally shot another...dead.
    Another instance where a guy rented a gun and shot himself...dead.

If a cop can accidentally kill another at a range, then by all means, me or you could be next.

If a mentally unstable person can rent a gun and shoot him/herself, what's going to stop them from taking a couple with them?

Food for thought kids.

chadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Not at all nervous about someone going crazy. More alert or cautious about having a gun pointed at me by someone not knowing any better or inexperienced

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    As a prior service member, I still retain a slight paranoia when I am out. I am definatly aware of my surroundings, whether in a parking lot or on a gun range. It never hurts to do situational assesments in your head.

Agree. Old habit and a good one. The shooter appears to have been a very disturbed guy. I still wonder what Chris was thinking when he brought this guy there.....

It shows that you can never truly ever let your guard down.

cmc589

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2012
    I'm never scared of being shot at or purpose at a range, but what I am cautious of the people who I've seen stand behind the firing line showing off their pistol to a family friend who has never held a gun before and who will sweep the gun across the firing line. I'm also worried about those people who load up guns behind the firing line, safety off and magazine in ready to fire as they sometimes will sweep the firing line after it is loaded and ready to fire.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's interesting to note how many people express zero concern over potential risks from other people with ill-intent (i.e. actions that are not accidental), solely because it's unlikely that someone will attack you at a range.

It's also unlikely that someone will try to murder you somewhere else.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I always CC at the range, just like I CC everywhere else. I also have heightened awareness on the line. Everyone around me is armed, and likely LESS safe around firearms than me and mine. I also always have a GSW capable first aid kit close by in the range bag. I've seen too many negligent things happen....

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Typically I am not worried about my safety when I go to the range. Have met many good people there. Others a little safer than the rest, but most in right mind. I have been when a couple (man/woman) arrived and things did not seem normal. He seemed okay, but she seemed like she was in left field when she was suppose to be on the bench. I stayed long enough to get my gear together and drive off. Really did not think she would go ballistic, but did worry about general safety.

Beast556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Zionsville
    I don't worry about being murdered per se but I am very aware of others that may be shooting along side me. I'd be more worried about a ND zipping through me more than anything else. Only time I ever got a little nervous was when I went to Don's guns (yeah yeah I know) once with a buddy and there was a guy shooting in the next lane and he was shooting all over the place. Couldn't pack up and leave soon enough.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Took Mrs. Steel Core out to POPS Family Indoor shooting range yesterday at 1:15 PM, range was deserted, so word must have gone out. She did OK this time (much better) and liked the Glock-19 over the Glock-26.

Later our old X-Airforce buddy came in an I noticed he was waving around his .22 auto, showing it off to the brave members that came in after the wife and I were finishing.................was going to say something to him about pointing the .22 at my midsection on the now crowded range floor, but followed the ol lady out the door to lunch.

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    No Fear Here.
    I always go to the outdoor range alone.
    I quickly engage other shooters, to eliminate any potential threat...

Actually, last Summer I was at the range while someone was instructing new female shooters, when I noticed one of the newbies briefly pointed the muzzle of a Ruger LCP (I think) in my direction. It did not happen again, but I did set up in another area to shoot.

Last edited:

Indy 1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    I treat it like driving my car. Something bad can happen, but if you stay aware you may be able to avoid it.

Top Bottom