Anyone OC a handgun/rifle as part of a Halloween costume?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    I have the potential to have a decent setup for a Soviet soldier, but it wouldn't be complete without my WASR 10/63 (as it'd just be a part of my costume, it'd have an empty magazine and chamber). I'd definitely do it for a party I might be going to this weekend, though I'm not so sure about a "best costume" contest this Monday at a sports bar that I go to kinda often.

Anyone have any experiences doing something similar?

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A non firing replica would look the same. That's the point. However if some off duty officer with a chip or some busy body pursues the issue you should be all in the clear. May not be the case if you're carrying some real deal.

Throw some drinking in the mix and catastrophe may well ensue, ie, some sort of legal issue. I personally don't care what you do but if you're asking advice this makes my spider sense tingle.

Play stupid games...

Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    If you're going to do it, make damn clear that everyone knows you have a real firearm
    Well of course.

23, no one blinked.
    Good for her, thanks.

I don't dick around with guns.
    You've never gone plinking with cans/watermelons/whatever? Or bumpfired?

A non firing replica would look the same. That's the point. However if some off duty officer with a chip or some busy body pursues the issue you should be all in the clear. May not be the case if you're carrying some real deal.
    True, but they have nothing to stand on legally since Indiana Code doesn't talk about long gun carry. Now if the owner of the private property asked me to leave, I would.

Throw some drinking in the mix and catastrophe may well ensue, ie, some sort of legal issue. I personally don't care what you do but if you're asking advice this makes my spider sense tingle.

Play stupid games...
    That's why it wouldn't be loaded. But I do appreciate your (and everyone else's) advice. :) I'm still thinking about it.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I really believe you should give that some serious thought. OVERWHELMING FAIL.

HOloween is play time. Guns are NOT playthings.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My first thought is - NOT a toy!

My second thought is - make it in-op (trigger lock, pull the bolt, or something) and have a good time. At least some drunk can't find a suitable round somewhere and turn your costume accessory into a front page news story.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I dressed up like a cowboy for Breakfast club at Purdue before. I wasn't sure the bars would let me in with the fake six-shooters but no one had a problem with em. I guess they could have been real and no one would have cared.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    You've never gone plinking with cans/watermelons/whatever? Or bumpfired?

Never Bumpfired.

I have shot cans and fruits and steel plates and paper plates for that matter, but I consider those activities to fall under general marksmanship.

A big part of it for me is that my gun time has to be serious pay attention time and my dress up party time has to be serious fun time.

If I took an AK to a party it would be alot to keep track of, too much for me to have fun at the party.

I might be a stick in the mud, but I try to be mindful about firearm safety not just in my own practice, but in the image I present to others. I want to be a good example.

Also, I don't know you or your friends. Maybe the party you are going to is going to be full of people who know better than to grab your AK and start making machine gun noises while drunkenly flagging everyone in the room. That would cause me to have a complete meltdown, :twocents:.

Whatever you decide to do, have fun and be safe!

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    If you decide to do it , I heard they are handing candy out to trick or treaters down at the bank.:D

Count Blackula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    South Bend
    My second thought is - make it in-op (trigger lock, pull the bolt, or something) and have a good time. At least some drunk can't find a suitable round somewhere and turn your costume accessory into a front page news story.
    Good idea.

I dressed up like a cowboy for Breakfast club at Purdue before. I wasn't sure the bars would let me in with the fake six-shooters but no one had a problem with em. I guess they could have been real and no one would have cared.
    I'm considering doing this with my (unloaded) revolver too. It'd definitely attract less attention than a rifle, along with being easier to keep track of (i.e. it'd never leave my hip).

I might be a stick in the mud, but I try to be mindful about firearm safety not just in my own practice, but in the image I present to others. I want to be a good example.
    This is true. Our public image is quite important, for better or for worse.

Whatever you decide to do, have fun and be safe!
    Thanks!

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    I have done it w/o a problem.
    Wore full "Battle Rattle" last year both at costume parties and handing out candy.
    No one said word because they all know that I Served and EDC.

Top Bottom