Anyone on here have experience with the FN 509?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    As a lot of my interests start, I watched colion's Noir's youtube video on the FN 509 compact. He raved about the gun and it is his carry and home defense gun. Does anyone on here have any firsthand experience with the 509? How is the trigger? Any complaints?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    As a lot of my interests start, I watched colion's Noir's youtube video on the FN 509 compact. He raved about the gun and it is his carry and home defense gun. Does anyone on here have any firsthand experience with the 509? How is the trigger? Any complaints?
    I watched a video of his and he said he carried an HK VP9. I guess he switched lol.

My nephew has a 509 tactical.
    I'll ask him his opinion on it and post it for you.

Got a quick response.
    He said he only has 150rds through his.
    He said the ergonomics are great
    It's been reliable, and accurate.
    He said the only problem is finding holsters for it for light and RDS attachments.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Who is it on here that makes Kydex holster in Indy area. I'm sorry I have a good forgetter.
    My nephew is interested in having one made for his 509 and light combo.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I had one. It had the most aggressive grip I've come across. I traded it to my brother for a M&P, and he sold it to a friend of his.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    No experience past the fact that I really had the hots for a 509 LS Edge, saw where my LGS got one in, so got up there to check it out.
    Pulled the trigger and laughed out loud.
    Absolute :poop: trigger. Gritty, long with a pretty stiff wall and not great break. Could not believe that a $1400 used gun would have that trigger in it, and would assume a LS Edge would have the best of the series, but I don’t know.
    Just my opinion, worth what your paying for it.

I have a 5.7 and 45tac so nothing against FN, and those triggers are better.

I’m very glad I didn’t do something foolish on gunbroker or something.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    I watched a video of his and he said he carried an HK VP9. I guess he switched lol.

My nephew has a 509 tactical.
    I'll ask him his opinion on it and post it for you.

Got a quick response.
    He said he only has 150rds through his.
    He said the ergonomics are great
    It's been reliable, and accurate.
    He said the only problem is finding holsters for it for light and RDS attachments.
    Thank you! I appreciate your response. He may switch all the time, Like Armalite said, he gets paid to say things and maybe carry certain guns.

Gravyman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 21, 2022
    Fishers
    The trigger is quite poor for the price and competition. I installed an apex on mine and it made a big difference. They're fairly heavy too, around 7 lbs plus.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    The trigger is quite poor for the price and competition. I installed an apex on mine and it made a big difference. They're fairly heavy too, around 7 lbs plus.
    That is the consensus from what I have gathered from the reviews. It seems the VP9 and the CZP-10C have much better triggers based on the reviews.

Gravyman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 21, 2022
    Fishers
    That is the consensus from what I have gathered from the reviews. It seems the VP9 and the CZP-10C have much better triggers based on the reviews.
    I have a p10c, and its trigger is way better. Also have a pdp which dominates both of them. Canik mete is close to pdp, but not quite as good imo. P10c is my overall favorite.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I have put a total of three rounds through one. There was a guy at my gun club who had one and was having a hard time hitting with it. He asked me to take a look at it, so I shot it and put three dead center. Nothing wrong with the gun, but I thought it was kind of unremarkable. The grip wasn't particularly comfortable, the sight picture wasn't anything special, and the trigger wasn't spectacular, either. It wasn't out of the box S&W M&P bad, but it certainly wasn't good.

There are better options out there. I'm a fan of the P320...better trigger, modular FCU system, and great aftermarket support. Even the Glock trigger is better than the FN, and if you are ok with the goofy angle of the brick-like grip, Glock gives you a tradition of supurb reliability, any size and caliber you could possibly desire, and an unparreleled aftermarket.

In a market flooded with polymer handguns, to get my attention a gun has to have something to set it apart, or offer a feature-set that nobody else does. The 509 just doesn't have that. Some guns like a 1911 or older revolvers I'm willing to buy because I appreciate the design and enjoy the mechanics, but a polymer 9mm is just a tool, and its merits are judged 100% by it's practicality. I could see it as a viable option for someone who isn't currently invested in a specific platform and likes the grip feel or some other aspect of the gun, but I don't see it supplanting the current preference of an already established shooter...at least it won't be doing that for me.

Gravyman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 21, 2022
    Fishers
    Agreed. Keep in mind FN just announced the Hiper. Isn't that supposed to take the place of the 509? The 509 just never caught on, and I'd say the trigger was a big part of that. They need to all come optic cut, have a way better trigger, and offer better sizes out the gate. Not just the goofy 19x size.

Gravyman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 21, 2022
    Fishers
    Oh and one other thing. I think Colion Noir gives positive reviews to just about any major pistol release. Most youtubers do, they get products for free and aren't incentivized to damage that relationship. If you want a polymer pistol with a trigger that heavy that is actually a GOOD trigger, without crunchy take up, handle an AREX delta gen 2. They're awesomely underrated. And cheaper.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I agree with the others that complained about the trigger. I was tempted by the 509; but, once I handled one, I was left very unimpressed by the trigger. Of course, I'm a Walther guy; I'm spoiled. You aren't going to find a better out of the box trigger than the PPQ and PDP.

Top Bottom