• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I'm not sure of the knockdown power, looks kinda like a .22 mag on steroids. But zero drop at 100 yards out of a pistol with a 30 round mag is pretty ridiculous. I LOVE mine. Not cheap to shoot, even less cheap to buy but sooooo awesome. No recoil, rail already there, I've been thinking of adding a laser and really dialing it in, I think it could be a fun varmint plinker at the right distance and circumstance. I wish they made a bolt gun in this caliber....

I dispatched a nasty raccoon a couple of weeks ago with mine at about 45 yds, missed with the first 2 shots and dropped it with the third, it just went stiff and fell over.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    The Five-Seven is a great firearm. It feeds like an AR, holds 20 rounds in it's magazine, and really isn't all that expensive to shoot. 50 rounds for about $20.00 at most places. Recoil is extremely light (almost not noticeable), bullet is extremely fast.

The weapon is light (even when loaded) and certainly has its perks since it holds so much ammunition compared to all other sidearms, but it definitely wouldn't be my first choice for a self-defense situation. Having said that, I've never shot a human with it so I can't say for a fact as to how it would do against a human body, I'd just rather be able to put a bigger hole through someone and have more of a chance to hit vital organs and bones.

As always, shot placement is key in any self-defense situation. I'm sure if you shot someone through the brain stem with the 5.7X28 they'd stop the same way they would if shot with a 9mm.

Here is your ballistics gel test result. As you can see, there is not much of a cavity made by the round. This to me, says it's not something I'd want to fire in a close-quarters situation. But everyone has their opinion and preferences. This is just mine. I will say that a Five-Seven is better for self defense than nothing at all.

Edit: Just so you know, I'm not saying it's not a good self defense weapon with the right ammunition, but just not my personal preference. It will do the job, especially since it is light weight, holds lots of ammo, and recoil is so light you can make follow up shots very quickly. It will kill a person without a doubt. But to me it's not a showstopper. $0.02

Last edited:

gajones06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    I really like the 5.7x28 round. I had a buddy who has hunted hogs in Texas with it and he clams to have dropped 275 pound hog at like 75 yards with one round. From my understand the round was designed to tumble upon hitting tissue so it can cause a good bit of damage. I always compare it to a 223 in a smaller casing..which if you reload you can use 223 bullets.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Whats the knockdown power of 5.7x28mm?

Ask the families of those murdered at Fort Hood, as well as those still living with the injuries inflicted by that "mouse round".

I have a Five-seveN and really enjoy shooting it. It's accuracy is amazing for a pistol, and as light as it is, there still is really no recoil to speak about.

About the only down side is the price of the pistol (but there are other pistols out there just as or even more expensive) and the ammo which as gone up a bunch in the last year.

forthehousew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    indy
    Nice gun in flat dark earth, looks funny in black with grey buttons

The 5.7 is a cool gun but not as great as i thought, feels kind of toyish but shoots well w/20 round cap very accurate. Good hi-cap nightstand gun but too big and sharp edges for me to carry.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have spent some trigger time behind a FN FiveSeven. Clearly a new generation pistol. The round is pretty accurate. I was only at a 25 yard range, so it was about the same accuracy as any other good pistol. Maybe past 50 yards that higher velocity will really shine. Lots of muzzle flash, very little recoil. Not my personal favorite, but was pleasant to shoot, and never had a failure to function. My friend loves it and I am happy that he can have it and enjoy it.

I have been around those wild hogs in Texas. Been chased twice. For the first close call escape, I jumped in the back of a parked 3/4 ton Dodge truck to get away from those big teeth. The hog proceeded to heavily dent the fender. The other close call ran me up a tree. It took a 30-06 to rescue me after a high cap 9mm didn't even make the old boar flinch. I'll not dispute the man claiming to drop a hog with that little 36 or 40 grain .22 caliber bullet, but I will say that I would not choose the FiveSeven for first pick if my it was my leg being torn apart by a hog.

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Does anyone have any comments on the Kel-Tec PMR-30?

It's apples and oranges.

You're talking about something more similar to a walther 22lr, and the likes.

The Five seven is a service pistol chambered in a specialized PDW round.

I've had mine for a long time now, put the price of the gun in ammo through it, and never had even the slightest hint of a failure or inconsistency. One of the only guns I own where I feel confident shooting empty 12 gauge hulls at 30 yards. I've not a huge fan of the round and don't believe it's even comparable to modern defensive 9mm ammunition, but it's better than nothing by far, and having 20+1 of it in a 1.5 pound gun that you can precisely hit nearly anything with, puts it in a league of its own.

I've carried it a bunch, since the gun is so rounded in profile, it doesn't print like a normal gun, and is very comfortable to CCW. The weight makes you forget you even have it on.

I just have serious doubts about it dropping a drunken 300 pound bubba who wants to kill me. Against anything normal it's going to do the trick just fine in one or 2 shots, I just don't know how much body mass would reduce the effectiveness of the round. And sure if you can put one between the ears while your life is in danger, I suppose that becomes a non issue, but I try to be a little more realistic and always plan to go center of mass with anything since that's what I'll revert to under stress.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Love mine... don't let the small diameter fool you, the rounds were designed to tumble, and ballistic testing has shown the effectiveness of the round...

The UN did some tests in 2002/2003 when they were considering the 5.7x28mm for standardization, and recommended it over the 9x19mm, stating that it was "undoubtedly" the superior round... The Germans objected, and it was never standardized.

The 5.7x28mm has less recoil, is lighter, flies flatter, and the diameter makes higher capacity possible when compared to the 9x19mm.

The 5.7x28mm SS90/SS190 was designed to penetrate kevlar vests (level IIIA)....The SPORTING variant of the 5.7x28mm (like the SS196SR) is classified as NOT ARMOR PIERCING by the ATF. Let me further clarify this, since in the past it was a controversial area - the firearm itself is does not magically penetrate body armor, only very specific rounds yield that capability.

For those that get all excited about who uses what, US secret service agents often carry the Five-Seven.

Personally, I really love shooting the FNH Five-Seven, although it is not my carry weapon, and the sticker price is significant for a plinking handgun. Ammo cost is not too bad, but availability is often a different story.

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    If the SS190, was offered over the counter, or the SS195LF was switched to standard primers and loaded a little warmer, I'd have no doubts about its stopping power.

Germans objected because 5.7mm was too big for them, they wanted the tiny little 4.6mm.

cmstuard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    96   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    SW Indiana
    I will keep it short and sweet. It's an absolutely fabulous shooting gun. The round is much more lethal than most people give it credit. Considering the effectiveness of the round, the low recoil and the 20 to 30 round capacity makes it close to a perfect all around pistol. This is also being said from a loyal Glock fan. If could have only one pistol and money wasn't a issue, this would be the pistol for me.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    The 5.7 is a great gun, i sold mine off due to already paying for 9mm and 45acp, didnt want to spend money one this caliber too... anyway, yes the sporting/plinking rounds I would not use for SD, but there are some awesome SD rounds made by Elite Ammunition that make crazy wound channels!!!! also, there are a ton of myths about the caliber, first the 5.7 out of the 5" barrel is comparable (in velocity) to a .22mag out of a 20" rifle, not a .22mag pistol. Anyway, the 5.7 ammo from elite ammunition is awesome stuff that isnt too much more than the standard ammo in regards to price and has awesome results and I would trust my life with those rounds if I still carried that gun.

Now, the gun itself feels like an airsoft gun, but after shooting it, all the negative remarks like that disappear! Also, the grip is wide and narrow, not a bad thing, just something you have to get used to. Plus with 20+1 rounds of the SD ammo is lighter than the glock 19!!! The gun is huge in size though!!!! it is the same size as my USP tactical 45!!! So perfect carry when you wear layers (or have a bigger build), but that is also something to keep in mind. One other thing, make sure that if you buy one, get one with adjustable sights... the fixed night site models are not dovetailed and are "aligned" and are set up for the LEO armor piercing rounds, so the plinking rounds will all be hitting (i believe) high left. I loved mine, but since I got the fixed sights and wanted to only own 45 and 9, i traded mine off for a nice 45.

sheepdog324

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Had a friend who had one, liked the recoil but the proprietary rounds were expensive and kinda prohibitive to shoot and find accessories for.

MrFive

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Hamilton County
    I cant really say anything that other members have already said. :yesway: out of all the pistols i have ever owned, i am the most accurate with it, have the most faith in it, have the most fun with it, and in the winter, i do carry it.

I shoot mine often. Really neat gun. Hardly any recoil at all.

Like shootin a really loud BB gun....

Top Bottom