• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Okay, I'm looking to spend some Christmas money.... and the LGS has a few revolvers I've got my eye on. One is a 2" Charter Arms that seems a bit high priced for that brand, and the other is a 3" Taurus. I like to pocket carry, and I already have a small 9 mm for that purpose, so this will add to the rotation.

My issue it that I really like the look / feel of the Taurus, but I'm worried it might be too long for pockets. Does anyone pocket carry a 3" revolver? I like to spend time at the range too, so that is another reason the 3" barrel appeals to me, but I don't want to get it if I can't carry it too.

Comments? Advice?
    Thanks!

---
    GB!

hunterft6

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Noblesville/Fishers
    I have never pocket carried a 3" revolver, but I did used to pocket carry a Charter Arms Bulldog with a 2.5" barrel on occasion. It felt massive in comparison to my kel-tec P3at or even my S&W snubbie. I would say that you would need pretty large pockets to comfortably carry anything larger than a snubbie, but that is just my opinion.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Weight has been an issue before barrel length in a 3". I have a few SW Airweights that can sag your pocket, i'm sure the Taurus is going to be heavier still. A IWB holser or ankle rig works better for me.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I couldnt pocket carry a 3".

IWB would be nice tho.

humm..... <runs off to S&W website>

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I know of a retired police officer that used to carry a 3" S&W M-36 in his pocket for back-up. He never seemed to have too much difficulty with it. The only 3" revolver I have ever owned was an S&W M-686. It was way too big for pocket carry, though.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Pocket carry would be tough. Now a nice high ride holster on the belt and loose fitting, untucked shirt would be just the ticket.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Presently the gun I seem to carry most often is a 3" model 60 in a "Minimalist" holster. Nice to have the extra barrel length for sight radius as well as performance.

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    I have pocket carried a 3 in revolver but it was uncomfortable. It would be just as easy to get a good owb or iwb holster for it. I think it is to wide and to heavy really for pocket carry.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have not pocket carried a 3" gun. But about 20 years ago, I had a 3" taurus, stainless #85 I believe, and it was a very accurate gun. It is easier to shoot a 3" over a 2". I traded it for something and have always wished I had kept it.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I have had a 3" Taurus for about 18 years. Great gun. A IWB would be the only way to go. I know some feel that the 3" is easier to shoot. My wife prefers it over my J frame any day of the week. However I do remember reading something when I got my 3" that was a spec from Taurus that said the 3 and 2 had the same accuracy at a certain distance. Sorry I can't remember more about the specifics of that article.

col132

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    I currently own a S&W 2.5" model 642. I have several pocket holsters but normally use a Raven Concealment most of the time. The 2.5" barrel would not fit with this holster. I ended up getting one of the Galco pocket holsters for a Cobra, Det Spec, 2.5 66, etc. This set up works fine in a pair of Woolrich or Royal Robbins pants, but is a real stretch with a pair of jeans. Butt is almost sticking out of the pocket. I have pretty well given up on this combo and have went back to my 1 7/8 642 and Raven pocket holster.

Top Bottom