• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I'm thinking of getting into it. My only experience is with pistol ammo via a dillon 550.

What do you have and use?

Average cost to reload buckshot (between 9 and 21 pellets) and #6 shot?

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    MEC 650, I have trash bags of hulls, Shot is $22-$26 for #6 to #8, I also reload some #2 and #4 steel for waterfowl.

I shoot twice a month (sporting clays) and at least once a month with the kids, So I can really load them down for fun, not pain.

Alliant powders, AA hulls, Citori shotguns.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    lee load all II greatest $42 spent
    hodgon's clays powder clean burning a little more expensive than red dot or green dot powder.

lead shot at the stores right now is around $35 a bag.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    MEC 650, I have trash bags of hulls, Shot is $22-$26 for #6 to #8, I also reload some #2 and #4 steel for waterfowl.

I shoot twice a month (sporting clays) and at least once a month with the kids, So I can really load them down for fun, not pain.

Alliant powders, AA hulls, Citori shotguns.

I'm going to be running my S12 primarily, so I want hot loads for reliability.

Recycling hulls, What cost per round are you looking at?

How do you (and others) like you press and how many rounds can you load an hour? I don't want to spend all day loading, I've really got no interest in a single stage press.

Racerdj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2010
    Indy
    Like you I have a Dillon 550B reloading 9mm and 45acp. I started with a MEC Jr. back in the 1970's and quit shooting. I restarted back in January and purchased a MEC 9000N and have reloaded over 10,000 shells 12 ga.
    I love reloading and would be glad to help you if you have any questions.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I'm going to be running my S12 primarily, so I want hot loads for reliability. The loads can be whatever you want, and very consistant.

Recycling hulls, What cost per round are you looking at? $20 per Thousand

How do you (and others) like you press and how many rounds can you load an hour? 2 hours, I can get my 8-10 boxes (of 25) reloaded and ready for next weeks match.

Cost per round will depend on what you're loading, I shoot mostly 7 1/2 or 8's for clays, 1 oz loads for 12 ga, 7/8 oz for 20 ga.

When I load hunting loads, shot in #4 and #6 is cheaper, but I'm loading 1 1/8 oz or 1 1/4 oz, more powder, but load less than 500 per year at that charge.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I use a Posness Warren for 12 guage. This loader is a tank. I can run 25 shells out in 3 minutes it has 8 stages. "Can you use wads that have been used before?" WHY, they are cheap!
    This loader is exspenive but worth the extra doe if your gonna do some serious loading. I use mainly Red Dot. Shoot sporting clays mostly. Cost? I can't help you with because I'm using reclaimed shot.
    The Mec loaders are pretty fast once you get a system down, but the progressive loaders are much less work.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    'Cause I'm Scottish and a cheap SOB! :D But even then, $14 is CHEAP!

I'm shooting a few rounds this Friday with friends. Put on your hockey gear, you're welcome to be downrange to catch and keep what we shoot, lead and wads. You should get your first thousand quite easily. :yesway:

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    341   0   1
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Here's a stupid question (I think): Can one use used wads?

NO... you shouldn't. As a wad is fired, the shot imprints on the barrel of the wad causing marks. If you reused wads, the pressure could cause the wad to fully compress, and your patterns would suffer severely.

Besides, they're cheap. No reason to - reusing wads is like reusing toilet paper. You could... but it's cheap enough to buy new every time. :)

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Cost per round will depend on what you're loading, I shoot mostly 7 1/2 or 8's for clays, 1 oz loads for 12 ga, 7/8 oz for 20 ga.

When I load hunting loads, shot in #4 and #6 is cheaper, but I'm loading 1 1/8 oz or 1 1/4 oz, more powder, but load less than 500 per year at that charge.

You load bird shot?

I'm calculating 21.5 cents a shell (assuming free hulls) for 6-8 shot. Cabelas puts those on sale for 22.5 cents a round. Shot is my biggest cost at roughly 65% of the total cost. I can't see loading just to save a penny.

How much is your cost per shell for the 7 1/2 12 ga?

If I may ask, where do you buy your shot?

Cool cost calculator I found: Shotshell Reloading Cost Calculator

KEHO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Noblesville
    You load bird shot?

I'm calculating 21.5 cents a shell (assuming free hulls) for 6-8 shot. Cabelas puts those on sale for 22.5 cents a round. Shot is my biggest cost at roughly 65% of the total cost. I can't see loading just to save a penny.

How much is your cost per shell for the 7 1/2 12 ga?

If I may ask, where do you buy your shot?

Cool cost calculator I found: Shotshell Reloading Cost Calculator

Here's the breakdown I have calculated for my load. If I purchase all my supplies (in bulk) at Indiana Gun Club (except hulls) this is what I get:

Powder $125 for 8 lbs - 19 grains per shot = $0.0424 per round
    Primer $129 for 5000 - 1 per shot = $0.0258 per round
    Wad $18.73 for 1000 - 1 per shot = $0.0187 per round
    Shot $36.00 for 25 lbs - 0.875 ounces per shot = $0.0379 per round
    Hull $0.03 each but used 5 times = $0.006 per round

Cost per round = $0.1309
    Cost per box = $3.272

For me, worth it. Mostly because loading is fun!! The price will go up if you use a 1 oz or 1.25 oz load. This is the best case scenario price for my skeet loads: 7/8 ounce of shot with 18 grains of powder. Realistically I assume $3.50 a box when I load to compensate for the occasional error, minor spill, etc. etc.

HTH

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    My trap loads have been running just under $5 per box. That's higher than some here but I shot 1 1/8 oz of #8 and can't afford to buy in bulk. Usually buy enugh to run of 1000 shells (40 boxes). Still, I get a load I like for slightly less than you can buy in stores unless there is a super sale. My press is an old Pacific single stage that a friend gave me. He picked it up at a garage sale for $10. Hornaday bought Pacific so the bushings are still available. I can run off about about 4 boxes/hr. without pushing.
    Advise: pick a brand of shell you like and buy only that, save the hulls. That way when you start reloading, you have a large supply of the same hull and you can find a load that works with that hull.

Top Bottom