• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bcd007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I was thinking the other day about when Gerber used to make really great knives. In the late 80s/early 90s, they were about the best out there. I worked at Cutlery World in the Greenwood Park Mall for years, and always spent a good portion of my paycheck buying knives, most of them Gerbers...think of it as reverse profit sharing :)

I still have an original Bolt Action (one of the best folding knives I've ever carried), and the original saw-back BMFs, as well as a Mark II. They are great knives, well built, and have stood the test of time.

I just picked up one of the new LMFs, it's well designed and well built, but some of their import folding knives seem to have quality issues (I don't hate non-US knives, I think the Germans make the best kitchen knives in the world, and the stuff from Seki City has always impressed me). It just seems that the standards are a bit different for their import line.

So I don't care where the knives are made, I just wish the quality was consistent. I've always liked Kershaw knives, and am a big fan of the Ken Onion kitchen line. Case was always an excellent pocket knife, but I always thought of Case knives as "collector" knives, not something that rattles around in your pocket for 10 years. We would sell the Case collector sets the day they came into the store. Gorgeous knives for sure.

United and Frost introduced me to what a crappy knife should look like :):

Just missing that consistency that Pete Gerber's knives always had.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Case knives are users...while some of the so called commemoratives do end up as safe queens most Case knives as well as those from GEC, Canal Street, Schatt & Morgan, etc are bought as users. Nothing wrong with using a good looking knife.

This is just part of my collection...maybe half of the slipjoint knives I own...all are users and work through my daily edc rotation. (tacticals and fixed blades are in different storage places...lol) These run the gambit from 20 dollar knives up to customs in the $400 range.

shelf.jpg

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    My first knife out of flight school was a Gerber Mk I - the one with the blade canted @ five degrees IIRC - and I carried it for about 3 years. I've had the original Gerber hollow handle survival knife (the one that came with the screw-in projections so it could be used as a sort-of-grapnel -what a dumb addition to a knife!) that my wife bought me. I currently have an LMF that resides in one of my BOBs, and I still have the gerber folder that I carried for most of my Active Duty career. Good knives all. These days my EDC are Leatherman and Kershaw, mostly; occasionally I carry a Benchmade folder.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Just missing that consistency that Pete Gerber's knives always had.
    The only knife I own 2 of is an old Gerber river knife, Blacki Collins design. I also gave them as gifts to everyone. I love all my old Gerbers. I do not know how I came to not have any MKII's

A simple, hardworking knife. When they rereleased it for awhile, it was made Italy, not the US but that was OK as the Italians make a lot of gears and know how to mill metal.

Mine are fully serrated on one side like the first picture.

1_e8d6bc175fb758e44f6e3a16608421f1.jpg

gerber_clip-lock_knife.gif4

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Case knives are and were the most collectable knives in all time history. Pretty impressive I think. I sell only the USA made Gerbers. There are not too many to choose from. If I had to pick a knife for EDC Gerber would not be at the top of my list. :twocents:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have a couple of Gerber Knives...
    My first Gerber was a gift from a really good friend and mentor who carried it during 'Nam. It is an original MkII. I have literally taken this knife around the world and back. The stories this one could tell...
    There are a couple of the newer MkII in my unit here. I have looked at them both are from the latest strike...
    Wow the difference is after you have had the Original in your hand is striking...

I also own a Gerber Guardian. I have had it since like '95'ish... Not a bad blade for what it is either.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I had a couple of Bolt Actions and carried them extensively in the 1980s and early 1990s. After Gerber quit making them, some other company with which Blackie Collins was associated made some with AUS8A blades, which made them even better (assuming a good heat treatment). I'd moved on to other things by then, so I failed to acquire one.

Gerber was also one of the first to get some really nice knives made in Taiwan that were as good as any made anywhere else under the brand Gerber International. I have a lockback folder with a mirror polished drop point blade made of AUS8A (one of the first) that is almost too nice to use. It's very smooth and solid and the blade grind is as good as you're going to see from a factory knife.

I'm not sure why that line of knives died on the vine. Maybe the "made in Taiwan" was a bigger problem in those days.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i have a couple rex applegates and they are very decent but for the money i just think their is better out there. though my applegates did go through some stuff. i just base most stuff on their multi tools and i couldn't get one to last while i was in the army. they broke doing the simplest stuff. to bad

bcd007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    I have a Gerber Touche belt-buckle knife that was a window display at a knife store that was closing. I picked it up for like $5.00.

Top Bottom