• ...and so much more!
  • adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I'm just an open water diver, no special training otherwise. I've been in multiple stone quarries around indiana and in the florida keys. I do enjoy it but don't have any gear of my own...rather spend the money on ammo.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone here certified?

US Navy Diving School, Subic Bay, Philippines July 1968.

I started diving in the South China Sea, Subic Bay, Hawaii and Okinawa. After I got out of the Marine Corps I bought all my equipment and started diving in this area. After a couple years the mud, weeds and beer bottles in this area got boring and I sold all my equipment. I would rent for at least a couple years (tanks and regulator) and see how interested you are then. It's a great hobby, but after you've been open water diving in the Pacific, Indiana seems to suck. Just my opinion and not putting down anyone or their hobby.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    PADI Advanced Openwater, with Nitrox training. Haven't had a chance to go this year yet, but its a hell of a hobby. One of those that as you get into it you find out it can cost you more than a shooting hobby :/

So far I havn't found anywhere good to dive in Indiana, I usually just head down to key-west or the caribbean to do it. Nothing like clear blue water, more fish than you can ever count, and hundreds of women in tiny bikinis.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So what holster do you use to conceal carry while diving?

Any holster that will accept a government issue 1911. They will fire underwater, but you'll pop your ear drums in most cases. We did carry 1911s when we made combat dives looking for underwater entrances to caves and bunker complexes along the riverbanks in Nam. Not planning to fire them underwater, but for use when we came up inside any enemy cave or bunker.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    No, you're right. Unless you are into sump diving (a very highly skilled specialty), Indiana diving does suck. I'm afraid to go diving out in warm clear waters just because I don't want to know just how great the suckage is.

That's what's holding me back. I'm not sure it would be worth it. Unless I plan to travel, but that could be very expensive.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Is it worth buying your own gear? Or better to rent?

As others have said, the fins, snorkel and mask are relatively cheap. I have my own BCD and wetsuit, but after getting those and using them for a short time life took over (ex-wife & daughter) and the fun stuff came to a screachin' halt. Still have the gear though. It would come closer to fitting my daughter than me now. Bought all that stuff right before my last growth spurt.:(

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    Divemaster
    Started in 1983. Been all over diving. Lots of fun and you get to travel to those places you've always wanted to go. Check out any of the Divers Supply Indy stores or Indy MPH just to name a couple.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    PADI Certs: Open Water, Advanced, Rescue Diver

DRI Certs: DRI-1, DRI-2, DRI Rescue and Med Diver

Also certified in full face mask and Dry Suit diving with primary diving being surface supplied air.

Of course all that sucks because pretty much all I ever dive is black water.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    That's what's holding me back. I'm not sure it would be worth it. Unless I plan to travel, but that could be very expensive.

While diving in Indiana may not hold a candle to the warm tropical diving, there are places here that aren't too bad. To name a few:

Blue Springs-Shelbyville area
    Hidden Paradise-Shelbyville area
    France Park-Logansport

And if you dare:
    Metropolis (located in the southern part of the Peoples Republik of Illinois)

While Metropolis is in a crappy state the dive site is worth it. They have some deep stuff, shallow stuff, and stuff in between. They also have the fuselage from the plane from the movie US Marshals that you can go into and swin through. They also like to play music underwater.......Hotel California playing when the sediment is stirred up is kinda creepy, just sayin.

Honestly I would say do it........even in Indiana I don't think you would regret it. And I would wait to get crazy buying gear until you have and idea how much you will use it. I would however get your own mask, fins, and snorkle.......some things just aren't worth sharing.

Top Bottom