Anyone shoot a deer with a .40 s&w or 10mm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    40 s&w is legal for deer. Check the e regulations on line. It specifically states 10mm and 40 s&w.

I didnt think it added the .40s&w. I know it added the 10mm with barrel length requirements. Am I missing that it really listed the .40s&w. After a quick search and read of indiana dnr website, the .40s&w is specifically named as a caliber/load that is NOT legal

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    10mm is a fine hunting round for smaller game.

And I put all but the largest whitetail into that category. But, even then, the largest white-tail deer are on-par with the humans amongst us. People and deer are thin-skinned critters.

10mm has also been used quite successfully in hog hunting for years.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I got a complaint for shooting a sick raccoon in a family's yard. They had two kids, and I told the parents to take them inside because I was going to put it down. They did, and after I shot it, I saw two boys looking out the window with the biggest grins on their faces....mom, not so much. I got an earful.

My mom made me bring in my first trapped raccoon....in the family room (dead). She loved fur. Had a freezer in the garage where I stored my critters til she'd drive me to the fur buyer.
    Mom was a classy gal, and a looker...........I always got great prices on my critters :)

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I just look at the Indiana DNR regs and is states that the 40s&w is not legal. Am I looking in the wrong section?
    DNR: Deer Hunting Questions & Answers

There are other cartridges that meet the law’s specifications, and there are others that do not. A partial list of cartridges that are not allowed under HEA 1231 includes the .25-06 Remington, .270 Winchester, .303 British, .32 Winchester SL, 38-55 Winchester,.40 S&W, .444 Marlin, and .45-70 Government.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You are looking under the RIFLE specs.
    While the new law does allow .40 S&W and 10mm under the HANDGUN spec (both too short in case length per previous law).........they are stating that it is still not legal in RIFLE for deer.

My guess is that handgunners will keep shots under 50 yards. In rifle folks would try to stretch it to at least double that. So a no-go legal wise.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    What are the barrel length requirements for 10mm & 40SW?

There are no listed barrel length requirements, just as long as you're using either caliber in a handgun instead of out of a rifle.
    However, you'll certainly be better off with a longer barrel both for maximizing velocity and for the longer sight radius to make accurate shooting much easier.
    IOW, you'll be better off with a Glock 20, Sig P220 Elite, S&W 1006, or Delta Elite vs. a Glock 29.

EDIT: See my correction below!

Last edited:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I thought all legal deer handguns needed to have a barrel at least 4 inches.

Oops!
    Right you are:
    "Handguns, other than muzzleloading handguns, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and mustfire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. There is no maximum cartridge length for those used in handguns. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches. (A rifle with a barrel less than 18 inches is not considered a handgun.)"
    Deer | Indiana Hunting Seasons & Regulations ? 2016 | eRegulations

whiteoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2015
    In The Whiteoaks
    I shot a few deer with a .40S&W, and was not that impressed. I think the duty load was a 165gr gold dot or hydra-shock at the time I was issued the Beretta. a 158 from a .357 did a better job on deer. I killed quiet a few deer that were involved in car deer accidents, while on the PD with various guns, and its not a great test. There was no autopsy, and if I got there and the deer was still hanging around in need of mercy killing it was not in good shape. But you asked.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have to agree that the numbers on .40 S&W don't look all that promising for deer, and your experience supports that.
    I bet the extra power of full house 10mm, especially using top quality bullets the likes of the Gold Dot, would be at least on par with .357 Magnum, though.
    Too bad just about no PD issues 10mm, though.
    Maybe the staties up in Alaska would have something to say about that.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I think what your small sample group is showing you is that most people of common sence have their own concerns about the 40s&w. It is kind of like the .410 slug! It is allowed but most people don't feel it is the best choice.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I think what your small sample group is showing you is that most people of common sence have their own concerns about the 40s&w. It is kind of like the .410 slug! It is allowed but most people don't feel it is the best choice.

If anyone does the ballistics examinations of a .410 slug you'll quickly find out that it's roughly equivalent to many 9x19 rounds when shot out of those dumb revolvers. Out of a shotgun - you can double the muzzle energy to the point where it should work OK on smaller deer. I don't know that I'd make a habit of it, but if a .410 bore shotgun was all I had, I think I'd be able to make due.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    You can - with a handgun!

I'd like to shoot that caliber one day. Seems neat.

i didn't think the case was long enough to pass?......i have one that i built about 6 years ago....built to shoot hogs with......never have had the chance to go yet...:(

2wbyn3m.jpg

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    i didn't think the case was long enough to pass?......i have one that i built about 6 years ago....built to shoot hogs with......never have had the chance to go yet...:(

You know... I think you're right. 1.16" min length for handgun hunting. I stand corrected!

Top Bottom