• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I'm thinking of getting one but they have so many choices.
    It seems the rifle sights would be preferred if you intended to shoot mostly slugs but maybe not.

I tend to think a short barreled shotgun would be a very good urban defence weapon.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm a fan of shotguns, but when you get one, check the pattern at increasing ranges. yj82luv7zbp21.jpg

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I like my Mossbergs. Third from left with FDE furniture is a 14" SBS, however, the 500 to its right is my HD shotgun at one end of the house. At the other end of the house is a beat up 80's vintage smooth-as-butter Wingmaster.

Cu3xIpF.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Saw that scattergun at the NRA museum a number of years ago. It's actually a 12 ga!

I've got a couple of 10 gauge 3.5 doubles and an SP-10. That's a lot of lead in the pattern, but you still need to know it's shape and location relative to sights.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    When I was looking around for tactical pump couple months ago I kept looking at the 590. But I really wanted to stay with a 18.5" and have ghost sights. It seemed in order to get that configuration it was gonna cost $550+ then at that I was only getting a 6+1. So I turned to the Benelli Supernova Tactical LE model which had everything I wanted with a 7rd tube instead of a 6. Now I run the mini 00 buckshot loads and can fit an extra round so I'm at 8+1 in an 18.5" gun and the magazine tube doesn't protrude past the muzzle

Attachments

• 20210730_185521.jpg
      20210730_185521.jpg
      4.8 MB · Views: 6

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I like my Mossbergs. Third from left with FDE furniture is a 14" SBS, however, the 500 to its right is my HD shotgun at one end of the house. At the other end of the house is a beat up 80's vintage smooth-as-butter Wingmaster.

Cu3xIpF.jpg
    I'm impressed by that short barreled model but would probably get an 18-1/2" model.
    Does a short barrel cylinder bore lose effectiveness or velocity over a longer barrel? Forget about pattern.
    I know about rifles and handguns, optimum velocity is around 18" if memory serves but I'm not sure if that holds for shotguns, besides, I like the short ones. I've got a 20" coach gun that I like and have shot skeet with pretty well.
    A pump gun is faster to reload/top off.
    You know, maybe a 500 would fill my wants and might be easier to find.
    I want to stay with Mossberg because of the top, ambidextrous safety.

Last edited:

blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    If your looking for a house protection gun you really cant beat a good old Mossberg 500 with an 18.5" security barrel.
    5+1 will be enough rounds 99% of the time, it's light and it swings fast.
    Yep that top tang safety is a big reason for my Mossberg choice too.

18.5" barrel is long enough for a full burn of powder.
    At 25 yards with a cylinder bore your good to go.

blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    In the video above he lost around 50 FPS from 20" to an 18.5" with buckshot.
    "Enough of a difference to make a difference You be the judge"
    I'll take the shorter easier to maneuver 18.5"

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I'm impressed by that short barreled model but would probably get an 18-1/2" model.
    Does a short barrel cylinder bore lose effectiveness or velocity over a longer barrel? Forget about pattern.
    I know about rifles and handguns, optimum velocity is around 18" if memory serves but I'm not sure if that holds for shotguns, besides, I like the short ones. I've got a 20" coach gun that I like and have shot skeet with pretty well.
    A pump gun is faster to reload/top off.
    You know, maybe a 500 would fill my wants and might be easier to find.
    I want to stay with Mossberg because of the top, ambidextrous safety.

They're out there. https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/66428
    At one time I thought about using the SBS in the HD lineup, but stayed with the 500 since I had already worked with it for a few years and I like the 7+1 capacity of that gun (20" barrel). I would have no problem using the 590-A1 in my photo either (sans bayonet). I've done some practice maneuvering inside my house comparing the shorter barrel guns to the 20" and don't find there's much difference for me. I don't plan to clear rooms with it anyway. The shotgun is for barracading myself into my "safe room" with 911 on the phone.

Edit to add: Moss 590 18" 6+1 here

Last edited:

Bighoss91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2020
    Milton
    My go to shotgun is my 590a1. I have the tacsol mini she'll adapter and 11 rounds of mini 00 buckshot. I had a 930 with 18.5 barrel and don't notice much difference in a 20".
    KIMG0096.JPG

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have been looking for a 590a1 for some time. The 590a1 weighs more than the 500a: the barrel is heavy walled on the 590a1, the trigger frame is steel on the 590a1 while the 500a trigger frame is some type of plastic that is tuff but it can break. I don't know of one breaking. The 500a barrel is lighter but if you are not in a shooting war I don't think you will wear out the barrel.

If you can find a 500a with a 18.5" barrel 5+1 or with 20" barrel 7+1 buy it! The Mossberg is easy to keep topped off. I just bought two 500a's and am going to work one over for HD. Cutting barrel and adding rem choke threads will cost around $100 plus shipping.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I have been looking for a 590a1 for some time. The 590a1 weighs more than the 500a: the barrel is heavy walled on the 590a1, the trigger frame is steel on the 590a1 while the 500a trigger frame is some type of plastic that is tuff but it can break. I don't know of one breaking. The 500a barrel is lighter but if you are not in a shooting war I don't think you will wear out the barrel.

If you can find a 500a with a 18.5" barrel 5+1 or with 20" barrel 7+1 buy it! The Mossberg is easy to keep topped off. I just bought two 500a's and am going to work one over for HD. Cutting barrel and adding rem choke threads will cost around $100 plus shipping.
    Yes, I have refined my choice to the 500a, 18-1/2" or 20" barrel with plastic full stock furniture.
    I'm not going to war with it (I hope) but with these times, who knows.

Now the 50429 Retrograde, Persuader comes closest to what I'm looking for but it has walnut furniture, but I guess I could change it or live with it.

Last edited:

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I had the 590 with a 20" barrel, bead sight, and heat shield. Great gun. For home defense I prefer bead sights: the peep sight/front blade combo may become obscured in lower light. I roamed the house with an M1 one night and sure enough that fine peep sight didn't let in enough light to be useful.

You could raise your head over the rear peep and just use the blade like a bead, but your POI/POA will probably be a touch off. For the average homeowner, I'm not sure you'd notice the difference in those short distances with a cylinder bore and buckshot.

I like the layout of controls on Mossbergs - more user friendly to me. I think you'd make a fine choice with the options I see you've narrowed it down to. If I did it again, I think I'd go with the 18.5" barrel 6+1 configuration. Just a little shorter and a little less weight out front would be the ideal feel for me.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've had a 590A1 20" cylinder bore barrel, bayonet lug, ghost ring rear sight with for several years.
    Have been really happy with it.

NOTE: 20" cylinder bore barrel is what the trench guns used.
    With 00 Buck gives a 14" pattern at 21 feet.
    Which was what was judged as ideal back in the day.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I think the 14" barrels of the Mossbergs and Remingtons are much easier to handle when indoors or in a vehicle. An arm brace, make them easier to operate, especially for follow-up shots. When I shoot a pistol grip alone, I cannot hold on to the forend for follow-up shots.

Top Bottom