Anyone shooting lead 9mm projectiles out of a 9mm carbine?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I'm considering shooting nothing but lead out of pistol cartridges for plinking. Does anyone have experience with what works better or worse? Would there be a significant difference from pistol to carbine? Would barrel heat of a 30 round mag dump cause leading issues?
    Max range would probably be 50 yards.

I loaded the last of my fmj 124's yesterday. :( They shoot great out of both right now.

I've been shooting 230 lrn with WSF for 45 acp and I'm happy with it - That's pretty much the only reason I'm considering it.

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    I've been shooting lead for years and found if I stay with an 18 brinell bullet and keep the velocity under 1200 fps I will get very minimal fouling. Just buy some from Missouri bullet co. and shoot away.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I haven't experienced any significant lead fouling with 124gr truncated cone lead projectiles in either a JRC 9mm carbine or an AR style 9mm carbine. I haven't chronoed the loads, but they are probably south of the 1200 fps number mentioned above. Just make sure they aren't undersized to your bore.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Have had serious problems shooting lead from guns designed for auto-pistol rounds. It's not as bad in a pistol as they are easier to clean the lead shavings out of the chamber area. As these guns are designed to seat on the mouth of the cartridge and not the rim, any shavings in the chamber can cause jamming. I've had 2 carbines do this [.45ACP Marlin and a .30 m1 carbine] Also found the Blackhawk .30 carbine revolver would not handle lead. I suspect hardness will effect this but after my bad experience I just won't shoot lead out of most autos, the 1911 being the exception...

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Thanks for the information. Will the TC or SWC style reduce the amount of shavings in the chamber as opposed to LRN?

Top Bottom