Anyone stopped with a non-resident license, how'd it go?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MacAttack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2015
    Under your bed
    My wife is agitating to get either a Florida or Utah non-resident license, and I'm all for it. Just wondered if anyone has ever dealt with an LEO from another state and had any reaction to using a non-resident license? I don't plan on speeding on the trips I'm going to be taking, since I'll be pulling a trailer with camping stuff and two kayaks, but just figured it'd be nice to have some other insights into it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Agitating? :dunno:

I've never heard of any problems at all and A LOT of people do the same thing.

FWIW, UT permits and FL licenses don't have the same value as they used to because (A) IN is accepted more places than in the past and (B) non-resident ones are accepted in fewer.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Make sure you know whatever state you're visting laws.

For instance, indiana has no duty to inform, but when I got pulled over in michigan, the first thing outa my mouth is, I have my license to carry in indiana and I have a firearm on my person.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I don't see a problem stating that you have a gun on your persons to any LEO ever.. I think he would appreciate the honest and upfront statement just in case he has the legality to pull you out of the vehicle it won't be a surprise for either party.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don't see a problem stating that you have a gun on your persons to any LEO ever.. I think he would appreciate the honest and upfront statement just in case he has the legality to pull you out of the vehicle it won't be a surprise for either party.

You're new here arent you?

Keep your baconhole shut unless you have the duty to inform. LOTS of ignorant, itchy cops out there that will use the improper and vague "officer safety" justification to disarm you. At least in Indiana they are supposed to have RAS to remove your weapon from your person, but there are a few folks with firsthand experience of this here. Me included.

I'll never tell a cop in Indiana I'm carrying. If he asks I will likely tell the truth. But I will NEVER volunteer that info. NEVER.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    He's being a little dramatic. You're not required to. If you do, most likely nothing is going to happen. Depending on how the encounter came about, ie traffic stop, dispatched run etc... there may or may not be reason to disarm you depending on the totality of the circumstances, based on their perception, not yours. What was said to the calltaker/dispatcher yadeeyadeeyada. The majority of cops are pro 2A and aren't out to get you or your guns. Yes there are a few that are ill-informed and on a power trip with ego problems but for the most part they're few and far in-between. The good ones don't like the bad ones either as it makes things even harder for the ones that are out there for the right reasons.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    He's being a little dramatic. You're not required to. If you do, most likely nothing is going to happen. Depending on how the encounter came about, ie traffic stop, dispatched run etc... there may or may not be reason to disarm you depending on the totality of the circumstances, based on their perception, not yours. What was said to the calltaker/dispatcher yadeeyadeeyada. The majority of cops are pro 2A and aren't out to get you or your guns. Yes there are a few that are ill-informed and on a power trip with ego problems but for the most part they're few and far in-between. The good ones don't like the bad ones either as it makes things even harder for the ones that are out there for the right reasons.

Says the man who hasnt been stopped by Patrolman Paranoid and held for 30 minutes. :laugh:

MacAttack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2015
    Under your bed
    Agitating? :dunno:

I've never heard of any problems at all and A LOT of people do the same thing.

FWIW, UT permits and FL licenses don't have the same value as they used to because (A) IN is accepted more places than in the past and (B) non-resident ones are accepted in fewer.

Could have said nagging, but she doesn't nag. More like a serious suggestion she won't let me forget. And I understand the dynamic between who honors what and all that. There are just two states that I can see us traveling though a lot (Ohio and WV), and I'd like to not have to monkey around with their stupidity.

Make sure you know whatever state you're visting laws.

For instance, indiana has no duty to inform, but when I got pulled over in michigan, the first thing outa my mouth is, I have my license to carry in indiana and I have a firearm on my person.

For when we do go on trips, I plan on making up index cards with the particulars that I can keep in a pocket on my dash, as a quick reminder.

Even my wife isn't that dumb. She knows that in Indiana she doesn't have to inform and to not inform unless directly asked by an officer. And she knows that if the officer takes the weapon from her, she is not to take it back, and that the officer needs to take it to HQ and write up a report, so she and I can have a talk with them when we come back to get it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Could have said nagging, but she doesn't nag. More like a serious suggestion she won't let me forget. And I understand the dynamic between who honors what and all that. There are just two states that I can see us traveling though a lot (Ohio and WV), and I'd like to not have to monkey around with their stupidity.

Wait does she want to get it, or want you to get it? It doesn't really matter I guess.

Like I said, IN is accepted in more places, like Ohio. However, in WV, not yet. And I assume by "their stupidity" you mean disarming while traveling through their state. Having a valid license still obligates you to follow their other stupid laws.

And the answer is, "either they accept it by law or they don't." I don't think it matters if I'm in OH using my LTCH or a Utah CCW. I'm sure WVHP sees a fair share of UT CCW's and know to accept it from non-residents.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I picked up a Utah and Arizona permit because I travel quite a bit. I have used them in Ohio and Nebraska and never had the first problem. I have twice informed LEO's that I had a handgun and a permit and both times they didn't ask to see my handgun or permit.

MacAttack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2015
    Under your bed
    Wait does she want to get it, or want you to get it? It doesn't really matter I guess.

She does want to get one. I guess I was posting way too early and sucked at explaining myself.

Like I said, IN is accepted in more places, like Ohio. However, in WV, not yet. And I assume by "their stupidity" you mean disarming while traveling through their state. Having a valid license still obligates you to follow their other stupid laws.

I had to look again, and I guess I misread the handgun law.us page for Indiana, I didn't realize OH honored us now. I thusly stand corrected. But yes, I do realize I have to follow all the other dumb laws they may have. When in Rome, I guess.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I think the original question was regarding whether or not someone had a problem when showing their non-res permit/license to LE. Still waiting to see a reply, 'cuz I'm interested too...

Top Bottom