• ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Very nice looking rifle.

Thanks. It started as a super-cheap 12FV Savage from Cabela's. The new GRS stock and the Accurate-mag bottom metal really transformed it. Haven't shot it since the upgrades, so the jury's still out of does anything more than LOOK like it might be a shooter.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    If you are hunting 100 yards and in, 6.5 cm is not something you need. Any other calibers rifles are pointless if something else does the job, don’t buy another rifle! Never shot anything but steel with 6.5, but consistently hitting 1000 yard 14” and got some hits at a mile with custom ammo.

So because you can use a screwdriver as a prybar or a chisel, you never need to buy a chisel nor a prybar?

Never mind the paint stirrer.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    No offense taken, you are completely correct and it truly is important to recognize the facts you point out.

At the shorter ranges reasonable and mature hunters will use, the .270 would clearly be better. But how much better?

My intent was not to recommend shots over 300y (never would), nor to claim the 6.5 is better (better at what?). Rather, I was just showing that the perceived differences between the 6.5 and classic rounds like the .270 can be smaller than one might think.

Let's go back to my comparison of of the 129 SST and Federal 130 Partition. Instead of looking at energy at a given distance, let's look at shorter distances. The .270 has about the same energy at 75 yards as the 6.5 does at 25y.

In other words, at shorter range, the advantage in muzzle energy of the .270 is about 50 yards of range and only decreases as you go farther out until eventually the 6.5 starts carrying more energy.

The 6.5 has no glaring weaknesses. It's not that it has any particular strength over another caliber. It's not more powerful than a .270, it's just remarkably close for something that's short action instead of long and uses ~40gr instead of ~60gr.

If your caliber is giving you no worse than a 50y range disadvantage to the immortal .270 while using significantly less powder, delivering less recoil and feeding from a short action box mag, then I think that's significant.

Good counter points. There are other minor points that can be argued between the two cartridges but the bottom line is both work. The only reasons I don't own a 6.5 CM is because I found a smoking sale on a Tikka in .260 Rem and the 6.5 PRC has stolen any lingering interest I had in the 6.5 CM.

Yep, just like shiny new toys.

Any excuse is a good excuse when it comes to shiny new toys!

Ithaca45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States
    I got a Kimber Hunter in 6.5CM this Spring and combined with the Leupold scope I put on it, it's a nice rig. With that said where I usually hunt deer my longest shot is only about 75 yards. So, I'll probably use my old Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag. My next trip to Montana to hunt, that's a different story.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I made the switch from .308, but not to 6.5CM. While I really like the 6.5CM for the milder recoil and wind resistance, I went with 7mm-08 because I just wasn’t comfortable with the creedmoor as an elk round.

I would have been been interested in the 6.5PRC if I had been aware of it sooner.

rengler22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Indy
    I don't hunt - so I have nothing to switch to. But that it's available at Walmart is an amazing sign of the times, isn't it?

I'd like to shoot a 6.5 C one of these days. I"ll miss the target, though.

May have spoken too soon...

I love my 6.5 CM and it's taken some big bodied deer without a problem.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    May have spoken too soon...

I love my 6.5 CM and it's taken some big bodied deer without a problem.

If I get a chance to test it, I'll be using my 6.5 creedmoor on deer this fall. As accurate as that rifle is I shouldn't have any excuse for missing any deer.

rengler22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Indy
    If I get a chance to test it, I'll be using my 6.5 creedmoor on deer this fall. As accurate as that rifle is I shouldn't have any excuse for missing any deer.

Agreed. With the typical ranges we shoot here in Indy (ignoring exceptions) I think any issues taking a deer with a 6.5 CM are much more likely to do with shooter ability, shot placement, or a disastrous ammo choice. I saw a post from someone on here (maybe this thread) thinking that a certain type of ammo were hollow / polymer tips and they weren't. Said their smoked the deer 4 times and didn't know why.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Agreed. With the typical ranges we shoot here in Indy (ignoring exceptions) I think any issues taking a deer with a 6.5 CM are much more likely to do with shooter ability, shot placement, or a disastrous ammo choice. I saw a post from someone on here (maybe this thread) thinking that a certain type of ammo were hollow / polymer tips and they weren't. Said their smoked the deer 4 times and didn't know why.

Putting a bullet where it needs to go is always key. I've dropped many deer with sierra matchkings and they died as quick as anything else I've ever used. A big part of that is the shot I chose to go with is always right behind the shoulder. I don't aim for the center of a large shoulder bone when my bullet choice may not be a good fit for that. If I end up with my 6.5 this fall it'll likely be with a 140gr eld match or 140gr a-max.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    I bought a new bolt action late last year and I'm getting ready to mount a scope on it and start getting ready for deer season. I reallly didn't need another gun to feed but I occasionally hunt a pretty good size corn/bean field and like the thought of reaching out. In all honesty I would prefer to have a Tikka in 6.5x55 but I haven't come across one for the price I want to pay.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I bought a new bolt action late last year and I'm getting ready to mount a scope on it and start getting ready for deer season. I reallly didn't need another gun to feed but I occasionally hunt a pretty good size corn/bean field and like the thought of reaching out. In all honesty I would prefer to have a Tikka in 6.5x55 but I haven't come across one for the price I want to pay.
    Ballistically, a creedmoor and a Swede will do the same things. Only if you are pushing things in a modern action (well above most published Data) will the Swede pull away appreciably. And that’s still 150fps or so at most. Other than tradition, there’s really no reason to prefer the Swede to a Creed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Someday when I have disposable income, I'll probably snag a rifle in 6.5 CM, but it would be in addition to .308, not in lieu of .308. For the serious rifle shooters this is probably heresy, but I can feed Wolf and similar cheap .308 to my little Ruger M77 Compact and hit 10" steel offhand at 240 yards without difficulty. That's practical and cost effective.

But 6.5 CM is on the wish list (after a SCAR 17 or LWRC REPR).

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    Ballistically, a creedmoor and a Swede will do the same things. Only if you are pushing things in a modern action (well above most published Data) will the Swede pull away appreciably. And that’s still 150fps or so at most. Other than tradition, there’s really no reason to prefer the Swede to a Creed.

I agree with you on the comparison. A few yrs ago I was thinking about the 260 Remington but thought ammo availability and cost would be a hard pill to swallow.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'll probably snag a rifle in 6.5 CM, but it would be in addition to .308, not in lieu of .308.

This is where I'm at with it. I'm not getting rid of my 308 any time soon. The availability of cheap ammo, military surplus, hunting, match and even tracer rounds make it too versatile of a round not have a place. In the right hands, it'll be as effective as about anything else. My 6.5creed is specific for long range shooting, and maybe a deer this fall if they make a poor decision to show up.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is where I'm at with it. I'm not getting rid of my 308 any time soon. The availability of cheap ammo, military surplus, hunting, match and even tracer rounds make it too versatile of a round not have a place. In the right hands, it'll be as effective as about anything else. My 6.5creed is specific for long range shooting, and maybe a deer this fall if they make a poor decision to show up.

:yesway: Agreed!

Top Bottom