Anyone Travel Amtrak and check a handgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrm400

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Hobart
    My wife and I will be traveling from Reno NV to Chicago in November on the Amtrak California Zephyr. I am aware that you can now check firearms on Amtrak but I would like to know if any INGOers have done this and what problems if any you may have experienced?

We will be checking our handguns as we carry when we travel. We have not had problems when checking them on the airlines (checked baggage) but this time we're flying out and riding the train back.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    My wife and I will be traveling from Reno NV to Chicago in November on the Amtrak California Zephyr. I am aware that you can now check firearms on Amtrak but I would like to know if any INGOers have done this and what problems if any you may have experienced?

We will be checking our handguns as we carry when we travel. We have not had problems when checking them on the airlines (checked baggage) but this time we're flying out and riding the train back.

I assume you've read the the Amtrak rules for checking firearms? They're a little different than airlines because you have to call ahead and let them know you will be checking firearms.

Here's the regs:
    Amtrak - Firearms in Checked Baggage

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    FWIW, and this is in no way suggesting that you violate the rules...

The family and I traveled on Amtrak in 2004, and were not searched, neither were our bags. At the time I was only concerned with the rather large Buck knife I was carrying in my bags (besides the EDC knives in my pockets). We had regular access to our baggage (they didn't lock it up). And the conductors, while walking through regularly, really didn't pay any attention to regular movement, even accessing your bags for stuff.

I don't know if any of this has changed in the last several years. However, the Mrs. and I have discussed taking a trip south on Amtrak again and have decided that we'll splurge for a sleeper berth. You take your baggage into your sleeper with you, I believe.

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    A co-worker just rode to St.Louis and back. He was complaining about the cost of alcohol on the train, but mentioned that if he did it again he would bring his own in his bags. Mainly, because the bags were never checked.

Top Bottom