• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • So IN Dude

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Evansville
    I am looking at purchasing one of these pro 1000 presses and I need to ask a few questions to someone who has experience using one of these.

Right now using a lee classic turret with good luck on 9mm and 223. I just would like something a little faster, really not faster just less movement with a case feeder.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I plan on buying one in 9mm - My loading needs in that caliber don't exceed 250 rounds a month - if they did, i would buy a Dillon. Everything I've read and seen indicates they're a pain to get setup but quite reliable one they're up and running. You will become one with the bullet puller while getting it setup.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Just bought one last night from Cabela's FYI they are on sale with 5 dollar shipping! I also bought a manual and a tumbler kit. I'm hoping to be reloading in no time!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm using one for 9mm, .38, and .223. Takes a while to get set up and running well, especially the primer feed. The first 90 or so feed good, but the last 10 need some help.

Best way around this is to always keep your primer hopper full and let gravity help you out.

I look at it as a nice stepping stone up to a nicer progressive like a Dillon, etc.

So IN Dude

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Evansville
    jblomenberg16

So do you have to change something on the case feeder between .223 and say 9mm?
    If so, what and why. Also do you change the whole shellplate carriage or just the shellplate? Thanks for the insight

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Love my Pro 1000

I load .45acp, 9mm, 32acp, and 223. You only have to change the shell plate as long as you are not changeing to large primers. I have to complete carriers one set up for large primers, 45acp. and the other is set up for small primers. 9mm .223. and 32acp. It's not a lot of hassel to switch primers but I had the money and bought the extra carrier. The 1000 is a good value for the money, and as long as you keep you eye on the primer feed you'll do fine. I had trouble with mine last year, sent it back for repairs, was returned repaired at no charge! :patriot: Lee makes pretty good stuff for the avereage reloader. I've actually been by their factory in Wisconsin. Not a very big place, must keep their costs down. Almost for got ther are two different shell feeders, again a large and a small one. I do not use a case feeder for .223 load'em one at a time, just as fast. Only issue I have with this press is the Auto disk powder feeder. Depending on how coarse the powder is it is not real consistant. I measure and weigh each load for my .223 match loads. But if you just need them to go bang every time the varience is not really enough to be concerned with. My .223 loads were varying up to 200fps. Now they are down to about 50fps varience need that for compititon!

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    jblomenberg16

So do you have to change something on the case feeder between .223 and say 9mm?
    If so, what and why. Also do you change the whole shellplate carriage or just the shellplate? Thanks for the insight

I have a different shell plat for each caliber, and then a different die holder that I can swap in/out. Once you get the hang of swapping it isn't too bad, but you'll find you'll load several hundred/thousand before you change just based on convenience and set-up.

I'd also suggest upgrading the powder measure to the micro-disc that allows you to fine tune your loads. The regular accu-disc (name) works pretty good for general plinking pistol loads, but going up to rifle cartridges can mean looking to tune the loads a bit more to get consistent accuracy.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I have spent a lot of time on my Uncle's Pro 1000, and they are finicky to setup at first. I personaly like my classic turret for pistol rounds, and still use my single stage press for .223, and .308, just my preferance since I am generally not in any real hurry to pump out 1000's of rounds at a time.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have spent a lot of time on my Uncle's Pro 1000, and they are finicky to setup at first. I personaly like my classic turret for pistol rounds, and still use my single stage press for .223, and .308, just my preferance since I am generally not in any real hurry to pump out 1000's of rounds at a time.

I'd agree with this. How many rds do you really need, or use? A turret press will do a few hundred in an hour, just load every couple days. Unless you just don't have any time, then faster can be better. The turrest press is easier to switch out calibers and use IMO. I had a Lee Pro 1000 in .223 and found it difficult to use. I think it might be fine in straight cases, I just had too much hassle with it. A single stage is handy, albeit time consuming, but I like loading rifle calibers on it. A lot of it really comes down to what dies do you have, money you want to spend and what you're loading. If I was going to get a Lee Progressive press, I'd go with the Lee Load Master.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    I got my Lee Pro 1000 all set up and I have found one issue I plan on talking with them about. The so called "Z bar" doesn't stay in like it should other than that its looking like it will do the job.

Top Bottom