Anyone use a trimmer mounted roto-tiller?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Anyone ever use one of these things? The attachment costs as much as a small tiller. Is it as good as a little tiller? I'm thinking it could make weeding the garden rows way easier. But if the $200 is better spent on a standalone tiller then thats the way to go.
    largeimage.png

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    They work ok for previously tilled or very loose soil but you aren't going to break new ground with one. The trimmer motor doesn't have enough torque and the entire thing doesn't have enough weight to cut through much.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I have all 3. A full blown tiller, small 2 stroke cultivator type tiller, and a attachment for my stihl trimmer. Get a dedicated cultivator. Trust me.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    If a dedicated tiller works better and you have the space for storage, there is no point struggling with your "trimmer" mounted tiller. Seems like the trimmer mount would be tough on the forearms and shoulders, as well.

..and there's also this, if you have small jobs or something you only intend doing once a year. They are pretty handy and very cost effective.

$_57.JPG

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    There's a reason they call it a "cultivator" rather than a "tiller". It's fine for stripping weeds and such, but to break ground you need a tiller. Tillerwise, get a rear tine; the weight will push it in. A front tine will ride up.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If a dedicated tiller works better and you have the space for storage, there is no point struggling with your "trimmer" mounted tiller. Seems like the trimmer mount would be tough on the forearms and shoulders, as well.

..and there's also this, if you have small jobs or something you only intend doing once a year. They are pretty handy and very cost effective.

$_57.JPG

Start with one of these before you use one of those cultivators. If the soil isnt already loose, you'll kill yourself. I use one of these or just break it up with my shovel before mixing with the cultivator. If I dont it just bounces off the dirt.

I find the trimmer mounted units are really only good for mixing in fertilizer, peat, compost, etc. If you have anything bigger than say 8x25 spend the bucks on at least a small gas tiller. your back will thank you.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

$_57.JPG

[video=youtube;6abaWREPO4o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6abaWREPO4o[/video]

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    My neighbor has a Mantis and loves it. He still borrows our large rear tine from time to time, but that little Mantis is pretty hard to beat. That said, I would not waste the money on a trimmer/tiller.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom