• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    We are thinking about getting a deer feeder or two for this winter and beyond and was wondering if anyone here has used them before? Any brands to avoid? Probably looking at the tripod style, but could look at the hanging ones too. Security shouldn't be a big problem, but a way to secure it to a tree or something would be nice I suppose.

Lets hear it! Who has used one of these?!?

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    We put a timed feeder on a tripod(Moultrie). It could hold up to 160 lbs. of food. We also put a trail cam on it. The trail cam had issues and I have come to find out that it doesn't take pictures. I usually like a camera to take pictures. Anyway, the food was always eaten and it distributed the food regularly. I am looking forward to getting a good camera on it after the season is over.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Looked briefly at Moultries thus far, but I've heard some sketchy things about their trail cams, don't know if the same quality is in their feeders. My plan is to put a trail cam on it as well.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I put a food plot out and I plan on putting some hay out once in a while after the snow starts flying. And I have a some corn still standing that I'll take the ranger down and knock it down to help feed the over the winter As well

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    We have been feeding deer in woods behind the house to be able to see them from the house for the last 5 years. I have been using a homemade feeder and it works well and was cheap. We go through about 40lbs of feed per week.

Take a 5' piece of 6" PVC pipe, attach a threaded end cap on one end. Drill through it and install two eye bolts on the top and two on the bottom, then bungee strap it to a tree about an inch off of the ground. Feed will flow out as they eat it.

Simply un-thread the top and pour more in. This size will hold about 40lbs. of corn or other feed.

Nothing fancy, but it works well and was cheap. The only downside is that the feed is available 24-7, whereas a timed feeder will condition deer to show up at certain times of the day. We still see deer at our feeder almost everyday.

Dirty Steve

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    We have a couple of food plots on our land where we hunt, but the dumb deer wont let the plots grow. they get about 4" tall and then get mowed down by the deer. My dad doesnt want to take the CRP grass out of production to go back to crops (like i want to) so we can have enough to actually last thru the season.

Figured this would be a different way of trying it. couple of feeders spread around our land would give the deer a reason to keep coming back. As we sit now, nearest crop fields are a mile+ away from our land. Deer sightings have been terribly low by us, but not others in our area with closer access to food.

Would love more suggestions on feeders people have used? Which ones are good, which ones are bad?

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I have 10 or so home made feeders out during the winter. 8" PVC either with a junction on the end and strapped to a tree (like so), or with an inverted funnel and hung in a tree somewhere. I don't know how much feed I go through but I keep Rural King busy.

Deer get more feed from the on demand types than the timed broadcast ones. Those feed birds are much as anything else.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Looked briefly at Moultries thus far, but I've heard some sketchy things about their trail cams, don't know if the same quality is in their feeders. My plan is to put a trail cam on it as well.

The cams that didn't work well ( 1 out of 3 taking pics) were Wild game Innovations. They were very cheap. You get what you pay for. I bought 2 Moultrie IR-55 cams. I have been using 1 of them and I am happy. I found the second Sunday afternoon at Gander on clearance. I expect good things from this one.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've heard some iffy things on Moultrie cams, but then again, if you look, you will find negative reviews on everything out there, haha. Wasnt sure on their feeder quality and was hoping someone had used them or others.

I just want to make sure I get a couple of feeders that aren't going to die on me a week after I put them out.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I have 10 or so home made feeders out during the winter. 8" PVC either with a junction on the end and strapped to a tree (like so), or with an inverted funnel and hung in a tree somewhere. I don't know how much feed I go through but I keep Rural King busy.

Deer get more feed from the on demand types than the timed broadcast ones. Those feed birds are much as anything else.

now that... is a cool idea!

Top Bottom