• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I'm new to coyote hunting. I've seen them from my treestand during deer season. Treestands sure seems to give a better view / coverage. I'm planning to go out in the early hours of the am and set one up. Just wondering what other's are doing.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Seems every time I am in the deer stand I see coyotes. I do not see why it would not work.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    I am new to coyote hunting too. I bought a foxfire predator call and mid-afternoon a couple weeks ago decided to see what might happen. I put the call 30 yards in front of a treestand. I climbed the stand, chambered a round, and fumbled with the remote control to get a baby cottontail distress call. No sooner had I put the controller down than I see a coyote peering in the direction of the call from behind a tree about 35 yds to my right and slightly out front. It took all of 6-10 seconds for that coyote to show up. I was totally unprepared for that! Rather than drag it out any longer, I'll just tell you now. I missed! I hate it when I miss anything!! All I had to aim at was its head, but I should have hit it. Oh well. I agree that the height of a treestand should be a great advantage. I too have seen lots of coyotes from stands during deer season, and they never have looked up.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    My favorite place to call from.

KJW,

I have been calling for about 4-5 years. Although I don't get to go as much as I like, I always seem to be pretty successful. Maybe it's luck, location, time of day, etc, but I will not go to a stand anymore without my shot gun. #4 buck and a good choke will greatly increase your odds of quick action shots. Also, not uncommon for doubles to come in this time of year and certainly helps with follow up shots. Obviously range is limited to about 50 yards, but as you have found (as did I) sometimes when you hit that distress call its like ringing a dinner bell!

Coolhuntermike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Goshen
    thats a good idea and makes since i just usually set on the ground probably cause thats how i c them do it on tv. I have had some success on the ground though it would be a little harder for me any my buddy to hunt together out of a tree stand i sure as heck know hes not setting on my lap :)

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    The season refers to taking coyotes as fur bearers. You can shoot coyotes year round as varmints.

Blondie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    My first post, New to this but just recently shot a coyote out my bedroom door, wife let dogs out to **** and woke me up and said there was three coyotes in back yard falling the tracks of my dogs after she let the dogs in. I got up and shot one less than 25ft from back door. it was very foggy at five am otherwise i could have shot them all. they disappeared so fast. only one stuck around for daylight. If you sit in tree stand the higher the better

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Worked today :)
    Two stands about 100 yds apart, snuck in at first light.
    Hit the caller and within 5 mins I hear my cousin's AR start barkin'.
    Heavily hunted public land, but we knew that thicket was "it" after scouting last week.
    Wind was right for that spot.
    Totally wrong for the other 2 locations we had as back up.
    picture.php

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My buddy always gets a few from his stand during season. Took 2 with his bow this year. I always set up on the ground. Only failed to take any once. Wind was up and wrong for us.

jrogers88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    linton
    I usually keep my squeeker call with me just in case. Didnt get any from my stand this year but did get one with a 16 yard shot with my bow from the ground. 125 grain rocket steelhead straight through the skull. He went full limp and skidded to a stop. Rest this year were long shots with my 308

Top Bottom