Anyone use "Trekking Poles" when they hike/backpack?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I always use a pair of Komperelli's while backpacking. They help a lot especially when your on mutli day trip where your packing 12+ miles a day. I've never had a single problem with the locking mechanism failing to do its job.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    If i'm in a situation where I need poles, I use sticks. They're free, then woods are full of them, and I get the fun of whittling the handle into something that's comfortable.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If i'm in a situation where I need poles, I use sticks. They're free, then woods are full of them, and I get the fun of whittling the handle into something that's comfortable.
    That is not a particularly practical answer in many areas. I'm planning an 88 mile thru-hike across northern England and from what I can tell from the maps there will be ZERO woodlands on my travel path.

Further, in areas where you would more likely need a walking stick or treking poles those areas are less likely to be tree covered.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I have a pair of hiking poles ("summit" bought at REI) that I have used mountain climbing. if you have to carry a pack up and down they're great and will really save your knees on the way down. The good thing about hiking poles compared to a staff is that they are light and adjustable for whether you're going up or down.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    That is not a particularly practical answer in many areas. I'm planning an 88 mile thru-hike across northern England and from what I can tell from the maps there will be ZERO woodlands on my travel path.

Further, in areas where you would more likely need a walking stick or treking poles those areas are less likely to be tree covered.
    Fair enough. I was born and raised in Indiana, and the only places I've really done much hiking are IN and MI, both are covered in woods.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I always carry a walking stick while backpacking and often when just hiking, too. The staff is useful for so many things, especially knocking brush, briars, and spider webs out of the way. It's good for testing the firmness of an uncertain surface, checking the depth of a muddy stream you want to cross. It can be used as a tent pole. You can use it to poke scat and break it apart for observation, stick it in the ground and hang your hat or jacket on it. I could go on for a long time. It makes life much easier to have a good stick in hand while traipsing around.

I have a special one made up that I carry when walking my trap line - very heavy duty, made out of an ash hoe handle with a metal tip and a steel hook on the upper end. It has lines burned in every 12 inches along the length. I wrap a piece of black tape around the staff the same height as the top of my hip boots. A very useful tool. I'd hate to be without it.

My backpacking staff is just a plain old broomstick. It's instantly adjustable in height because I can just grab it in a different spot. I'm afraid there's lots of things I use my broomstick for that you just couldn't do with one of those high tech walking sticks. But whether it's a broomstick or a metal pole with a rubber grip on it, they'd both be helpful for just walking across rough terrain.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    The ski poles I have are top straped. Have a screw in the top of the grip. Neither pole is the same, one is longer than the other. Also good as a snake stabber or a dog stand-off. (nice pointy ends on them) Heck, you might even be able to find some at a thrift type store in GB.

Edjer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wouldn't hike without them. I also use Leki trekking poles. They'll save your back and knees. I make an annual one day south rim to north rim hike through the Grand Canyon and return North to South rim the next day. Before I used trekking poles, I suffered mightily - especially on the return rim to rim hike. The trekking poles have made a significant difference, hope yours do too.

Top Bottom