• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Looking to have my Ruger Mark iii's barrel threaded and cerakoted, maybe some flutes to lighten it a bit too. This is a project for the wife. She loves the gun but wishes it were a little lighter. I contacted John about cutting the threads and cerakoting the barrel and the price seems good. Wanting $95 for those 2 jobs. Anyone have any knowledge of the work they do and can attest to the quality of work? I was just gonna buy a new barrel but the custom one my wife wants is like $300 plus needs to go thru ffl so another $20-$25 there.
    Thanks for any info INGO

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Looking to have my Ruger Mark iii's barrel threaded and cerakoted, maybe some flutes to lighten it a bit too. This is a project for the wife. She loves the gun but wishes it were a little lighter. I contacted John about cutting the threads and cerakoting the barrel and the price seems good. Wanting $95 for those 2 jobs. Anyone have any knowledge of the work they do and can attest to the quality of work? I was just gonna buy a new barrel but the custom one my wife wants is like $300 plus needs to go thru ffl so another $20-$25 there.
    Thanks for any info INGO

Your wife is worth it. Buy her the Volquartsen ultra light. If you have em cut it at 10" you can almost get rifle velocity out of it.:D . Swap lowers then you'll both be happy.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Your wife is worth it. Buy her the Volquartsen ultra light. If you have em cut it at 10" you can almost get rifle velocity out of it.:D . Swap lowers then you'll both be happy.

Probably should've been more specific. This is the mark iii pistol with 5.5" barrel

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    buy a different upper, in the long run you will be ahead

Biggest thing with that is the tactical solutions upper is like $335 plus another $100 for the color the wife wants. Then another $20-$25 transfer fee. Makes it $460 and thats is crazy in my eyes. Im thinking shes just gonna get a Mark IV 22/45 lite with the blue barrel. Can be had for about same price as replacing the upper on my III. Plus ease of disassembly on the IV has got me leaning that way

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    No intention of hojacking the thread here, but has anyone heard the DoJ classified Barrel threading as Gun Manufacturing recently? Just looking for a confirmation...

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    To explain my previous question, my local Gunsmith frequently comes up with excuses why any particular job can't be done. This time, I wanted a .22 threaded and he told me he had the capability, but the DoJ recently classified barrel threading as firearm manufacturing.

I'm beginning to suspect a lack of competence in the trade.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    To explain my previous question, my local Gunsmith frequently comes up with excuses why any particular job can't be done. This time, I wanted a .22 threaded and he told me he had the capability, but the DoJ recently classified barrel threading as firearm manufacturing.

I'm beginning to suspect a lack of competence in the trade.

He did not lie to you

Top Bottom