Anyone using an automatic reloading machine?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm going to start by saying that I love my 550B. I started on a rock chucker in 2004, and eventually went to the 550B for the efficiency. I have a setup on that machine for every caliber I own, and I load long range precision ammo on it that I've used at competitions out to a mile. I can crank out plinking ammo, precision ammo, hunting ammo, and whatever else I'd like. My issue now is time. I just don't have the time to stand there pulling a lever for hours on end anymore. Work, kids, and all the other excuses. I'm still demanding on the ammo I want, but I don't really have the time to make it just the way I want so I'm looking at what it'd take to get some piece of equipment setup that I can started up like a washing machine, come back when it's ran it's cycle, reload it and walk away again. What's the next step up in efficiency?

Thoughts?

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Not sure there is anything in a "consumer pricepoint" that will fit an unattended process.

I have a Dillon 1050 with a Mark 7 autodrive, haven't had time to completely set it up as of yet but it will be processing a fair amount of brass & loading .223 & 9mm primarily.

Even on a machine that has very few issues that cause it to stop (inverted projectiles, etc), the consumables will need to be fed on a regular basis, primers, powder, etc.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I am running a 1050 dillon auto , i only run pistol calibers on it at this time, as to turning it on and walking away never that's when you will definitely have issues just my :twocents: On another note the cost of the machines and accessories are pretty high, can you justify shelling out 1,000's of dollars to run multiple calibers??

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The cost of the machines is what kept me away from them when I upgraded to the 550B, but I've seen the little reloading gadgets or bots that turn loaders into automatic machines and that's where I was wondering about what all was out there. The biggest thing that takes me time is my precision rifle ammo that I use my 550B as a single stage for because I want everything to be perfect. If an auto machine can't so that then I'm not really that interested. My pistol ammo is something I bought back when it was cheap and I stacked it deep enough that I can't save more reloading for it now than what I bought the factory ammo for years ago.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I have not loaded any precision ammo with an autodrive, so I may be wrong in this presumption.

The autodrive does provide consistancy delivering the same torque on each stroke, etc. What you won't have is the "feel" of seating the primer, sizing the brass, etc.

With this presumption I believe you can load precision ammo with an autodrive machine.

I have issues with my shoulders which added motivation for an autodrive.

edit;
    Titan Reloading had the best price when I was searching;

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    An auto machine is great while it's running well. Keeping it running well can be a PITA. It will save effort. Time is debatable.
    ^^ This. I've run multiple 1050s with Ponsness Warren drives and they get gummed up pretty quickly. Also, the brass has to be very well processed. Any nicks or dents in the rims of casings are a recipe for an immediate jam.

I'd imagine the Camdex and Ammoload machines are designed to eliminate these issues, but a Dillon machine isn't.

Top Bottom