Anyone using laser cutter/engraver for hobby projects?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    fantastic! Is there a model number you're doing or totally DIY? I would LOVE a larger workspace

There's a plan I got from further fabrication...they have an option for a 2x2 and one for a 2x4. The plan calls for a 75 watt laser, but I think I'm going to jump to 150 watt...I'll grab the link in a second

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    That looks pretty cool. You're clearly more mechanical than I am. You could crank out parts with that. Honey creek tackle has a canoe stand that looks to be laser cut

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    That looks pretty cool. You're clearly more mechanical than I am. You could crank out parts with that. Honey creek tackle has a canoe stand that looks to be laser cut

I like tinkering/building things, so I am a bit more mechanical minded...I'm shopping around for better prices on the aluminum extrusions pieces, so far it's looking to be about $1600

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Does that include most of the skeleton? Maybe not rails and such but that doesn't sound awful does it?

That's all the 2020 and 2040 aluminum extrusion for the exoskeleton and gantry...all shipped to my house. Then I'll order the water chiller, controller, laser tube, mirrors, and all the other stuff

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Another place in indy quoted me $1600 for the same thing, so $579 and change seems like a good deal.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    That's all the 2020 and 2040 aluminum extrusion for the exoskeleton and gantry...all shipped to my house. Then I'll order the water chiller, controller, laser tube, mirrors, and all the other stuff

I want to upgrade to a cohesion3d board and get better at engraving. Compound nozzles with two lenses look amazing and I have one coming.

Having a k40 setup for rotary only would be my goal and use the larger one for engraving/cutting

You can buy all the rollers and cars this thing needs right? Don't need to 3d print anything? I'd be nervous about stray laser light without a cabinet

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I want to upgrade to a cohesion3d board and get better at engraving. Compound nozzles with two lenses look amazing and I have one coming.

Having a k40 setup for rotary only would be my goal and use the larger one for engraving/cutting

You can buy all the rollers and cars this thing needs right? Don't need to 3d print anything? I'd be nervous about stray laser light without a cabinet

I've considered building a mini version of of the machine I'm building and dedicating it to a rotary, but that's going to wait as this current build is NOT cheap. I'll have to buy a second lens later, I'll have one for engraving and one for cutting.

The unit I'm building will have a cabinet around it, so stray lasers will be minimal.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    20200402_223338_zpsnicntjfk.jpg

Here is progress so far...I have acquired about half of the stuff I need to build the machine, but I can start constructing the frame as soon as the t nuts shows up next week.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Caleb, have you thought about buying bulk extruded aluminum from Alro and cutting your own?

Don't forget about corner bracing either!

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Caleb, have you thought about buying bulk extruded aluminum from Alro and cutting your own?

Don't forget about corner bracing either!

I checked out a few places up in indy, got a quote from one place but it was three times the amount that Misumi...so I just ordered from there. Not sure I checked on Alcr, I'll have to call them up next time and see what they can offer. The current design doesn't call for corner bracing plates but I may add some on the internal frame. I'm replacing the two 2 phase nema 17 y axles steppers for a single 3 phase nema 23 and adding 2:1 belt reducers for the X and Y axis, this should really increase my acceleration speeds. I'm waiting for a few more pieces this week and hopefully I can start assembling the frame this weekend.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Have the frame all assembled, I'll just need to make all my adjustments and tighten it all down...

20200410_004138_zpsal2l15ss.jpg

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Working on the gantry, designing/making custom parts...should be getting my linear rails on tuesday, can't wait. Getting so close, I can taste the laser exhaust fumes.

20200513_102743_zpsoqaniifr.jpg

Top Bottom