Anyone with a gunvault type pistol safe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm thinking about buying one of the gunvault safes to put in the top drawer of my nightstand. My little girl is getting old enough now that it's no longer safe to leave the pistol unlocked in a drawer.

I've looked on cabelas and similar websites, mostly to read reviews, and there are many people out there that like the safes.

Do any of you guys & gals have and use a gun vault safe for you home protection pistol?

Do any of you all have a recommendation for something that's better or different than a gunvault safe?

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I have the larger "Deluxe" version and I am happy with it.

I would not really call it a safe. it's more like a strong box.
    I am sure I could break into it in about 15 Min. if I had to.

Search the forums, there are several threads

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I picked up a Stack-on drawer safe from Gander a while back. It was on sale, and I had a gift cert. to burn. It seems to work fine. The keypad isn't lit, so punching the code in the dark isn't easy. I keep a small flashlight in the same drawer, though. The GunVault brand might be easier to open in the dark, with the finger-pads.

Any electronic lock concerns me. Murphy's Law guarantees that the battery will die when I need to get in the safe. I guess I'll just change it when I change the smoke detectors.

The safe I have:
    Gander Mountain® > Stack-On Strongbox Drawer Safe with Electronic Lock - Firearms > Gun Storage & Safes > Safes & Accessories :

+1 on locking up your stuff! My little girl started opening drawers and cabinets a while back. Anything below 3 feet is "hers" now!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You all definately hit on some good points.

I don't expect this to do anything other than prevent a child from getting it. Any burglar or fire and the safe would be worthless.

I also don't like that these have to have a battery because of murphy's law. I'd rather have something manual.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    You all definately hit on some good points.

I don't expect this to do anything other than prevent a child from getting it. Any burglar or fire and the safe would be worthless.

I also don't like that these have to have a battery because of murphy's law. I'd rather have something manual.

The GunVault is pretty good insurance if you have young children. Certainly not as good as a safe, but much better accessibility. I have the Deluxe model, and while it does have a battery, it also has an AC/DC power supply. I've had the same batteries in mine for over two years. It takes about 3 seconds to punch in the lock code, and it's easy to open even in complete darkness.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...I also don't like that these have to have a battery because of murphy's law. I'd rather have something manual.

The GunVaults have a manual round key you can use to backup the fingerpad/battery functionality.

FWIW, the batteries in my GV are still going after 12 years. (Yeah, I need to change em. :rolleyes:)

kharb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Granger
    I've got a Mini Deluxe model that I have in my nightstand with my HD pistol. I think it works perfectly to keep kids out (mine's not old enough yet but planning ahead) and just offer peace of mind that it is secure but it's definitely not a "safe". Just got it for Christmas but my F-I-L has had one for years, maybe 5 or so. He's never changed batteries and doesn't have his plugged in. As someone said earlier, it has an AC/DC that you should use primarily, then batteries for backup. For even further "backup", it does include a key lock too.

Top Bottom