Anyone with experience with CCI .22 shotsell ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    dont think the shotshell will even come close to killing the cat.... will just injure.... i suggest a can of pepsi with a spoonfull or two of fly poison mixed in set next to your trash can.... it will die of "natral causes" and all you have to tell the neighbors if they get nosy is that you threw away some ant traps with some food and the cat got into it....

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    Whatever you do, if you are going to kill it, make sure you kill it. No wounding. They'll be quite angry if they find their pet wounded. I'd reccomend it just dissapearing. Kill it as you want, but just make sure to them it dissapears. And you haven't seen nuffin'. A good ol' fashioned .22 should take care of kitty, as well. I wouldn't mess with the shot shells.

joistman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Elkhart
    Also wondering if the shot shells would work on ground hogs?!?

Have a lot houses around and don't really want to use standard 22LR

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I was thinking of shooting in it's general direction to scare it off. So I got to looking at the shotshell thinking they would just diminish to nothing or cause little issue where ever they stopped. You know, something to discharge in the ground or tree near the stupid animal.

I've shot a cat with sub HP .22Lr, it died....later. .22LR is not effective against cats.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    A hit from a .22 shotshell will probably get the point across to the cat to stay away and it will not be injured most likely. I prefer federal birdshot to CCI birdshot. Over the years the kill ratio on birds is much better with federal that CCI. The guys at the counter always say that is not so, because CCI is the best. But my results in the field say different.

I would go another route with cats.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I was thinking of shooting in it's general direction to scare it off. So I got to looking at the shotshell thinking they would just diminish to nothing or cause little issue where ever they stopped. You know, something to discharge in the ground or tree near the stupid animal.

I've shot a cat with sub HP .22Lr, it died....later. .22LR is not effective against cats.

It is if you shoot it in the head. I've personally witnessed one being shot in the head with a subsonic out of a 3" gun. Dropped it in its tracks.

If you do, remember the 3 S's.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    If you can get close enough to the cat to injure it with a .22 shot shell, just grab the damn thing and throttle it.

This is more unsubstantiated B.S., but I've heard that the reason those shells were developed was to collect small bird specimens for museum taxidermist, such as hummingbirds and tiny wrens. I know that there were a few models of smoothbore .22 and that was their primary use. Some people call them "snake shot" but I think just about any blunt instrument would be preferable to a .22 loaded with them. I can't imagine that any of the other chamberings offered are that much more effective, and once you get to the .45/.44 range you might as well get a real shotgun.

cklein6576

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    South Bend, Worst. Mayor. Ever.
    Recently I was able to test my theory of 9mm p+ on a feral cat. As it turns out it changes them into dogs. This one accually rolled over and (played) dead. 1st time I have gotten a cat to do anything I wanted.

I agree a 22lr will work for a head shot, anything else and you'll have some POed people to talk to.

mdroz3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Walkerton
    I hate the neighbors cats as much as the OP. I had the same problem with them too. That is until i turned my dog loose on them. The darn cats still roam the neighborhood, but they give my house a wide berth. Now if I could get the neighbor on the other side to keep his Pit out of my yard. I think my next step there is my 45. :draw:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    If you can get close enough to the cat to injure it with a .22 shot shell, just grab the damn thing and throttle it.

This is more unsubstantiated B.S., but I've heard that the reason those shells were developed was to collect small bird specimens for museum taxidermist, such as hummingbirds and tiny wrens. I know that there were a few models of smoothbore .22 and that was their primary use. Some people call them "snake shot" but I think just about any blunt instrument would be preferable to a .22 loaded with them. I can't imagine that any of the other chamberings offered are that much more effective, and once you get to the .45/.44 range you might as well get a real shotgun.

I have shot and killed many mice, rats and sparrows, starling and pigeons with .22 bird shot. It works pretty good for that purpose especially after dark in the barn. Anything bigger than a feral pigeon is pretty much pissing in the wind. A rifle works much better than a pistol with the stuff as well.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Those little shot shells are hard on carpenter bees out of a revolver. Almost as fun as sneaking up on cats and wackin 'em in the ribs with a cci mini mag.
    Cats do take some killing. I'd suggest you borrow a live trap, bait it with tuna IN your garage. Once you catch it, fill a trash can with water then toss the trap in for five minutes or so. Dump the cat in a trash bag and forget about it. AND DON'T TELL A SOUL!
    Theres a dairy farm just up the road so I sometimes kill a dozen feral cats a year.

Last edited:

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    22 Birdshot.

I have killed Pigeons in the barn, and a few frogs with it, but I prefer the Winchester over the CCI. I have better luck with it. The Winchester has a crimp at the end opf the casing holding in the shot, where the CCI has a plastic capsule. Its my opinion that the plastic capsule and rifling disturb the pattern of the shot pellets. Now way would I try to kill a cat with it. I have shot them in the head, with a .22 Hollow point, and they still didn't drop immediatley.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    no shotshells

I played around with some of the cci 22 birdshot a few years ago for getting sparrows out of the barn. They spread out way to fast out of a pistol, and only did the trick about 50% of the time out of a rifle. I was less than impressed. I would have to say your best bet is to just make it disappear as someone else mentioned. Set up a live trap, and be ready to move in quick to snag the trap for prompt removal. Not sure what kind of area you live in, but it's not worth the chance of a ricochet into a house if you are in the 'burbs. Best of luck to you whichever route you go.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    The very bottom of the page. The cat will probably die from starvation from being so paranoid. Or just shoot it with a shotgun, 556, 44 mag, pipe bomb... whatever, it's all effective.

DeltaForce.com

If you can't tell, I really hate cats..

Top Bottom